Introductions - Hi there!!

Started by Steven Moffat, March 21, 2012 · 5 Replies · 4,510 Views

Steven Moffat

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, so just thought I'd say hello!!

My name is Steve, I'm 33 and I live in Australia. I have been dabbling with a bit of gymnastic type training on and off for about 6 months and am really enjoying it!! I used to be into traditional weight lifting and made some pretty awesome gains in strength but after a long layoff had a real hard time getting back into it.

From there I started to look into different types of 'functional' training like kettlebells and sleds, then one day I bought a set of rings which really sparked an interest in gymnastic type training. Since then I have bought the coach's book and done a couple of programs with the guys over at Gold Medal Bodies and am loving every minute of it, I'm also starting to get a few skills under my belt but nothing super amazing, I'm pretty proud of what I've achieved in a short time.

Here is a quick video of some of the skills I have been practising, I know they are not perfect but think they are a great start!

paintchip

Hi, welcome to the forums. You're looking quite strong at 6 months. Would you attribute that to the GMB routines or to your previous weightlifting experience? I stumbled upon the GMB web site today and was wondering if it's worth it. I guess I should give the WODs a chance before I start trying other routines :D

Chris Edgar

Hello there!

Another new guy here. Congratulations on your progress!

One thing I saw though is your grip in back lever, I couldn't help noticing you are doing it palms up. I also did this and actually got to full lay pretty fast but if you read round the forum you will discover that back lever work is meant to be done with your palms facing down (think chin up grip). This is done to prepare the bicep tendon for more advanced straight arm work like iron cross. Sadly when i made this realization i went from a full lay back lever for 10 seconds down to a tuck for 10 seconds due to the tremendous pressure on the elbow (I'm a fairly big lad) :( however in the long run I'm sure its far more beneficial, better to rectify problems early on than having to go right back to the beginning futher down the line as it can be quite demoralizing.

You could also maybe do with a bit more scapular retraction during your front lever as you almost seemed protracted, but that doesn't take TOO much time to fix. Just do scap rows etc.

Other than that you're looking good mate, I take my rings round to the park too! love all the funny looks lol! 8)

Peace out brother, good luck and happy training!

Chris.

Steven Moffat

Thanks for the comments guys, I attribute my strength gains so far to what I have done with GMB, it's been quite a few years since I did the weight lifting and when I first busted out the rings I couldn't do the things I am doing now. I should say that I was doing dips and rows on the rings for a while before I got interested in the gymnastic side of things. I do reccomend GMB though if you are curious...

Thanks also for the tips on my form, I am aware of the proper grip on back lever and usually do a couple of sets of each grip in my workout to try and build the extra strength, I just filmed this grip because I can get closer to a full back lever that way :-) I'll definately take your tips on board though, the one about the front lever too!

It's great to be here, I look forward to learning heaps!!

Alvaro

Welcome!, It looks really good! that MU is great!. I have the impression that you are trying to go a bit too fast with the back lever and the front lever. You have most of the strength needed but is very possible that your tendons and ligaments are not prepared yet. Have you gone through the prerequisites?, The german hang and the ring support seem a must in your case.Don´t go beyond the advanced tuck in neither of them before being able to perform the requisites. Ask Joshua (aka slizzardman) about being strong but not prepared for the FL or BL, now he is a prerequisites converse!. This will only take some more months but is worth the waiting as it will keep you injury free (or vastly more resistant to injury).

Keep the good job!.

Pd, have you tryied rings handstand or shoulder stand? You should :twisted: (with some matts in the floor please!)

Steven Moffat

Hi, that's an interesting thought, I think I do a decent German Hang and Support but maybe I'll stick a video in the digital coaching thread to make sure..? I have tried shoulder stands, and am doing ok with them but don't feel up to a ring handstand yet due to the faceplant possibilities... I think you are right about my levers, I do most of my training in the advanced tuck positions anyway, I was just trying to be impressive in this video :D