Bipocni said:(...) I have very little experience in track & field. A well designed sprint program would include far more elements than we've discussed here (...)
hehehe, yes to both... ![]()
This is outside of the scope of this thread, but you can actually sprint all out for 300m, maybe 340m... When I ran 400's, the main objective of training was to acquire the endurance necessary to push the wall a bit further (the wall you hit between 280 and 340, I think when your ATP-CP & [Lactate] Glycogen systems are exhausted)
You can attack this three ways: (1) pacing, (2) increase of your anaerobic endurance, & (3) technique, mostly a better use of the arms and upper body.
Technique is also what takes you through the last part of the race.
I was never good at pacing (it did not make a difference in my wall) & I hated every single component of the endurance building training, but our small club needed someone on the 400 & I was obsolete for the 100 & 200 in the end.
Maybe the top guys that you see finishing their races fresh can push the wall beyond 400? I don't know.