FSP work during my SSC

Started by Kyle Devlin, March 14, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,287 Views

Kyle Devlin

I went and tested my FSP times and I'm going to start a SSC, but I don't know how many sets to do with the time of my holds.

I plan on performing the holds in a sorta super set fashion. So one right into the other, but that means I'm going to perform the same amount of sets for each hold. That's fine with me, but I will do 6.seconds of tuck PL followed by 20.seconds of adv tuck BL.

To get a total of 1 minute in my PL hold it would require me to preform 10sets, but that has me doing way more than a minute of BL work.

Should I just do that, or change the sets, or position difficulty... Or what? I feel like I'm not thinking of obvious things, but that's what having a community of helpful people is for!

Blairbob

If you have the time, I prefer to just work on one FSP at a time. If you don't, pair them up or do them in a series (BL,PL,FL,etc). You might end up finishing one progression before the others but it's not a HUGE deal.

Slizzardman will state he prefers no hold times of less than 15 seconds. That means 3-4 sets if they are 15-20 second holds.

I have used hold times of 5-10 seconds that worked well for me. 12 sets takes a bit of time to get through while 6-8 is alright. Sliz will disagree with me on this but, :?

Cole Dano

This has been the area that has been the most difficult for me to settle into. I've tried many approaches, and right now the one FSP at a time seems to be what i'm settling towards, but that could change tomorrow.

As always in life there is more than one way to skin a cat and at least for me the FSPs have needed to most adjustment to find something that works but doesn't leave me feeling mentally toasted.

I have to hold my tongue for the time being, but there will be some pretty big revisions on the GB FSP standards as part of the new book.

My own 'plan' is to see what Coach Sommer came up with and use that as a starting point and see if i can get past the pre-reqs by making a concerted effort. Once it's out there I'll try to post progress reports, and most likely seek out advice because I'd really like to be able to do the levers one day and at least improve the PL work past crappy tuck PLs one day.

Kyle Devlin

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not restrained on time, so I might end up doing each FSP for approx 1 minute aggregate work? My biggest concern is definitely on the effectiveness of doing the holds individually. I thought it was better to do them one after another, then rest in between sets.

Another option I was considering was to find a position for my holds that I max out at around 20sec. That way I can do the same sets for every one, just with harder positions. I also keep the super set.

I know I can do a decent amount of sets with around max holds on the harder variations of FL and BL, but that will reek havoc on my tendons in couple Weeks.. I figure I should be a bit more patient than ambitious.

@Cole, in attempts to progress faster in certain areas I neglect areas. I still am exploring what is best for myself, but that has me changing my goals also. And thanks for the hint to what's upcoming, its like a preview to an awesome movie that isn't out yet..