Please provide input for my new routine

Started by SorenPA, February 25, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,541 Views

SorenPA

Hello

I have designed a new routine, which I will be following until I get my rings up (From there I will probably follow the WODs). The routine follows some simple principles:

a) Focus on one FSP/FBE per workout.

b) About 1 min rest between sets

c) 3-5 sets per exercise and 3-5 reps per set.

d) Exercises should be challangenging, but doable (Using BtGB progressions).

e) Progression happens when the exercise is found to be easy for 3 consecutive workouts.

This is the routine on a 2 week roll:

A : Horizontal pushing (FSP=PL; FBE=Pushups)

B : Vertical pushing (FSP=PL; FBE=HSPU)

C : Vertical pulling (FSP=BL; FBE=Pullups)

D : Horizontal pulling (FSP=BL; FBE=Rows)

E : Core (FSP=L-sit; HS presses + HLL)

F : Legs (FSP=FL; SLSquats)

S1 : Cardio (interval) 90% Springing day 1 week x

S2 : Cardio (interval) Max Sprinting day 2 week x (+ stretching afterwards)

Week 1:

M =A

T = F

W = S1

Th = C

F = B

Sat = S2

Sun = off

Week 2:

M =D

T = E

W = S1

Th = A

F = C

Sat = S2

Sun = off

As you may notice Week 1 has two pushing days and one pulling day, whereas Week 2 has two pulling days and one pushing day. All spaced out to allow for at least 3 rest days between each pull/push. I have tried to choose the FSP/FBE pair so that they match in focus. I am currently trying to figure out how to best add one more FL and L-Sit workout to the routine.

Any input, preferably critique would be areciated :)

Blairbob

Do the Killroy70 program instead adding in sprinting and cardio endurance on W/Sa.

Workload is too minimal, unless you are just limited on time or like being a minimalist.

SorenPA

Thanks for the feed back. The work load in the posted routine is lower than i normally do. The Idea behind working one exercise per day was to give that exercise full mental focus, which in the past week have seemed to work quite well for me (mentally). However the workouts have seemed a bit short :) So its not a problem to increase the workload.

I will try out the killroy routine from now on and see how that goes. One problem I have had with following similar workload is lack of energy after the FSP "warmup". With my current knowledge I think I may have worked the FSPs too hard though. I'll see how it goes this time.

Blairbob

If you work the static isometric positions at a high intensity, it's very draining. Doing them in a steady state fashion is much easier typically.

the only thing is as a beginner i would try MWF K70 without CombinedPush/Pull work (Muscle-ups). If you're strong enough for MU work then it's ok.

It's just much harder to recover from back to back days compared to every other day.

SorenPA

I am not a complete beginner, so I think a M,T,TH,F schedule is fine. I will be sure to listen to my body though. I might need to start out on a M/W/F as I have had a very stressfull private life since last summer (I tell you stress is BAD BAD BAD for physical conditioning). I have gotten rid of that now though, so time to get back on the strength training :)

Today I did:

FSP:

PL (adv. frog) 4x15 sec hold

FL (tuck) 4x15 sec hold

BL (tuck) 4x15 sec hold

My static max holds last week was (adv. frog 30 sec, FL tuck 30 sec, BL tuck 40 sec) so I should probably increase the BL to 20 sec holds for this SSC.

FBE:

Pushups (Bulgarian style with a pair of rolling dumbbels) 5x5

Rows (FL tuck) 5x5

Overall the FSPs are still draining quite a bit of energy. Especially the FL progression is tough. I still had energy to complete the FBS exercises with proper form and technique in a slow tempo. So everything was good today. The interesting part is how I will fare tomorrow, thursday and friday :)

Soren

SorenPA

I have now done the second day of work (following the suggested routine), with same warmup as yesterday. Energy level was good during the FBEs today. Now 2h after the session I feel great and overall have great energy. I can feel my muscles are a bit tired, but not completely taxed. I still feel I have some energy to spend. I think I will be fine on a M/T/Th/F schedule with sprinting and stretching sessions W/Sat (My sprinting sessions are short, but high intensity. Works the lungs and heart).

Question

I have one question regarding SSCs related to FSPs. Is it normal that the percieved effort of a hold goes a bit up in the beginning as technique improves? And If so would it make sense to decrease the duration of the hold?

As an example I strive to follow the directions of the book on the FL tuck. I have already noticed improvements in technique I feel my hips are now more in level with my neck and that I become much better at pulling the shoulders back and my chest towards the bar. I still strive to keep a 45 degree angle for the straight arms. Today I felt pretty much ALL the muscles of the back firering to hold the position (great feeling btw). This however also increase the effort requried in holding the position a fair bit, so holding the FL tuck today for 15 seconds for 4 sets was pretty much to faliure (I would guess on a max hold of 20 sec on the first set).

I am considering lowering my FL tuck hold from 4x15 to 6x10 seconds for the rest of this SCC (still 8-12 weeks left). The PL and BL progrssion holds are fine. Even though technique also improves on these holds, it is relatively small adjustments compared with the FL progrssion hold which seems like my weak point obviously.

Todays work:

Same FSPs as yesterday, same duration and reps.

FBEs:

Dips (straight bar) 5x5

Curls (Inverted chins on straight bar) 5x5

I sadly do not have access to a diping station or rings (I want my rings up!) so I have to work with a bar. The dips were completed with a limited range of motion as I am not able to dip down to the sternum without the elbows widely out to the side. So I focus on keeping the elbows in as it feels tougher on the triceps and better for my shoulder. I havent done curls in a while, but they went better than expected. They probably could use a bit more ROM.