Another Noob

Started by kaiowas, September 29, 2008 · 7 Replies · 3,763 Views

kaiowas

Hey guys,

I'm Kai, and am an adult recreational male gymnast. I've bee practicing for about 5 months now, mostly with tumbling work, as I got into gymnastics after practicing parkour at the local gymnasium. I'm currently healing from some soft tissue damage in my left ankle (after taking a month off before this with soft tissue damage in my right ankle) then being too hasty with my recovery and going back to tumbling with very little strength work on my ankles. Aside from being very accident and injury prone due to a lack of prevention work (which I now take very seriously) I'm looking at developing further strength and flexibility to help me with my gymnastics training. I've been reading posts on the site for a little while now and for the life of me I have not been able to find a list of acronyms or commonly used words that noobs such as myself don't understand. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, and any exercises relating to ankle strength and flexibility would very much be appreciated also.

George Launchbury

Hi Kai,

There is a thread regarding Ankle Prehab here:

> http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670

And a useful list of gymnastics terms on DrillsAndSkills, here:

> http://www.drillsandskills.com/definitions

Can't think of one for acronyms off the top of my head, so unless anyone else finds one please post any that you are currently pondering over and I'll try and help out.

Cheers,

George.

kaiowas

Ah excellent thanks George.

One of the acronyms I see a lot is HSPU? and there are a few others around, which I'll try and pickup when I see them again.

George Launchbury

Here's a few:

HSPU - Hand Stand Push Up

OAC - One Armed Chin(up)

PPP - Pseudo Planche Pushup

GTG - Grease The Groove (Google that phrase)

FL - Front Lever

SLS - Single Leg Squat (a.k.a. Pistols)

...hmmm, they're surprisingly hard to think of - so keep them coming if you have more!

George.

StevenJ

Just a couple more that came to mind.

GHR - Glute-Ham Raise

HLL - Hanging Leg Lift

StevenL

another one:

HBWBPTEPBF = Half Bodyweight Bench Press To Extreme Puke-Bucket Failure!

kaiowas
StevenL said:
another one:

HBWBPTEPBF = Half Bodyweight Bench Press To Extreme Puke-Bucket Failure!

:shock:

Well thanks for the above acronyms, it should help me follow what you guys are talking about.

Danny

HeSPU doesn't mean Handstand Pushup however, it means Headstand push-up. For a real handstand push-up you need your hands elevated, so you can go deeper then just till your head reaches hand level.. ;-)

And for HLL, some people say HLR > Hanging Leg Raises.

:roll: