Hollow hold substitute?

Started by kazeboom, February 9, 2012 · 7 Replies · 10,630 Views

kazeboom

I had a bad motorcycle accident years ago and i crushed my pelvis and broke my sacrum off. They screwed everything back together, however they had to do a laminectomy on my sacrum. That area is very painfully sensitive and always has been. There's a lot of discomfort pressing against the floor when I attempt the hollow hold. Is there a substitute exercise/exercises that I can do for my core until if and when my back becomes less sensitive?

Cole Dano

Plank is a good starting point.

You can also do hollow hold stomach to the floor.

My hats off to you for carrying on after an injury like that, you've got my respect.

Blairbob

To do the prone hollow hold:

Lay on stomach, face down.

Squeeze your butt by tensing your glutes. Point your toes (why not). I could care less what you do with your arms really but let's say you pretend you are in a HS by lying them in front of your head outstretched.

Now pull your belly button off the floor. This requires tilting your pelvis.

Another thought is to work the body lever starting at just holding a candlestick/shoulderstand with the body inverted.

Properly plank hold sounds good too.

Cole Dano

Thanks for adding the description BlairBob.

Only problem with candlestick/bodylever is starting and coming down it may be hard to avoid hitting the scarum at least at first.

jl5555

Why not try to do it while hanging from the pullup bar, rings, whathaveyou? Obviously it's not quite the same as doing it on the floor but I think you can get 90% of the similar effort out of it. Plus you get a nice stretch out of it at the same time.

Aaron Griffin

See the hollow hold here for a downward facing version

Blairbob

My bad, I didn't think of that, Cole. :x

kazeboom

Thanks I will give those a try. The pic of the prone hollow hold helped a lot to understand it.