Hey there from a tall, bulky, adult gymnast

Started by crasic, February 8, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,920 Views

crasic

I started gymnastics in late september. I discovered that my university has a gymnastics club that is open to everyone on campus with open gym for 3-4 hours every day of the week. Lots of ex-competitive gymnasts that go there so a lot of advice to go around on progressions and skills, and now that I found the book I now even have some direction when it comes to learning new skills.

I'm 6'2" and 210 lb, so I have some disadvantage when it comes to the levers my lower body exerts on my upper. Luckily I had some existing upper body strength due to being a recreational climber for several years so I didn't go in *completely* from scratch, but still.

The progress I make in the gym is extremely rewarding , and it translates directly to my day-to-day activities and especially to my climbing (without having the time to climb outdoors or in a gym I jumped 2 categories (indoor 5.11b/c to 5.12a) after 4 months of gymnastics, only thing lacking was grip training).

I'm working on all basic skills, primarily focusing on rings and p-bars for the time being. I got my first muscle-up in december and now can bust out 5-6 (not super strict, but no strong kip either) in a row. I'm working on my shoulder flexibility for swinging (shoulder surgery left some ROM lacking), and SLOWLY progressing on the cross.

I'm planning on competing in the NAIGC nationals in April, at least on rings, but hopefully p-bars and high-bar will also have something to show as well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to take advantage of all the experience and knowledge this board has to offer.

Some videos:

REALLY Basic ring routine, I was mainly filming for my front roll attempt (first time!) so didn't really focus on hitting the other skills, but its all there.

1TxRxasG4rY

Demonstration of my p-bar swing, working on keeping the form strict, I've gotten the back uprise before but not this time around.

SW6eVyUXucs

Blairbob

On PB swing, too much pike in the hips in the front swing. You also want to swing through an arched body position at the bottom of the swing in support.

On PB upper arm swing, try tucking your chin in on the back swing and really getting your heels to elevate. You want to get your heels up before push out of the upper arm position in a back uprise from upper arm versus just dipping it as you are doing.

You'll find NAIGC pretty fun but I wasn't too excited about SLC this year. Look on NAIGC's page for judging requirements if you care about a score since ideally you'll have 8 identifiable skills (even if a lot of them are non listed A skills).

On rings, have one of the guys there look at your ring swing. More head in on the back swing, more pulling back on the rings in the front swing. There is a basic ring swing youtube video I linked to somewhere around here.

I would honestly start working the press to shoulderstand with legs straddling the straps. It's a big deduction but not really important in your case and it's helluva lot better than pealing forward off the rings. That can be hell on the shoulders if it's done off one arm. Eventually you can work press to shoulderstand straddle up and just go inside the straps or without them.

You can also technically use an L-hang or L-support for a skill. Heck, even a pullup might be counted as a skill for the local meets (unless Charlie is there) though I doubt it would counted at Nationals.

So, something like MU to support, lift to L and hold. Press to shoulderstand, roll back to basket, BL, pull out to basket/hang and swing to dismount.

It's a pretty good gym to workout in for the most part except for the typically horrid music selection.

crasic

Thanks for the advice. I've heard that advice about my p-bar swing and I'm working on those points already, its improved a lot since I first started.

Funny enough, the routine you posted is the exact routine I was planning on doing, and what I've been practicing when doing routine work. My shoulder stand is actually not as bad as the video shows, I can usually swing up into it and hold for 4-5 seconds solid before dropping to a basket, but it is rather violent since it isn't a controlled press. I can hold a l-sit in support for 15-30 seconds and I'm working on doing presses on the floor before transitioning them to rings. I'll try the strap straddle next time I'm in to see if I can get it to work out.

The biggest problem with my back swing is the lack of shoulder flexibility due to a surgery a few years back. I can get a decent elevation in the front and then it just dies on the back swing because it hurts like hell to get them in that position.

Blairbob
The biggest problem with my back swing is the lack of shoulder flexibility due to a surgery a few years back.

On PB or SR? During PB support or upper arm?

crasic

Sorry, on SR, the back swing part of the swing is really limited by my shoulders.

Blairbob

Ahh, mine haven't liked them for a few years now. Focus on pushing the rings forward as much as possible. When you no longer can, then add pushing them out. This probably won't feel great on the shoulders, though.