How much/What equipment do I need to follow the BtGB book?

Started by vazurahan, February 5, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,914 Views

vazurahan

I only workout at home using calisthenics but I'm interested on the BtGW.

I only have a door pullup bar and pushup bars.

Our basement is only 6'10'' high to the ceiling in case equipment need to be bought or built.

What equipment do I need to be able to perform BtGW exercises?

Muddy
vazurahan said:
I only workout at home using calisthenics but I'm interested on the BtGW.

I only have a door pullup bar and pushup bars.

Our basement is only 6'10'' high to the ceiling in case equipment need to be bought or built.

What equipment do I need to be able to perform BtGW exercises?

The most important thing is the Building the Gymnastic Book. In the book he suggests some equipment.

A pull up bar, parallel bars, parallettes and rings would all be useful. There is some other stuff the Coach suggests as well in the book but if you have this stuff you can do everything I think.

If you could get or make your own dip station then that could replace the parallel bars. I have 2 wood poles across my power rack to make parallel bars. If you could secure a dip station to your basement wall or buy one then that would be good enough.

Some people use those little pushup bars as parallettes. A lot of people make PVC parallettes. There are tons of guides on the internet. I have heard that the UK PVC is a lot weaker than the US PVC piping so make sure it will be strong enough. People also make dipstations out of PVC as well. There are guides on the internet. People also make them out of wood. I highly suggest you look into making your own stuff because buying it can get pretty expensive.

For rings, the book and coach suggest getting "XR rings". I bought some rings before I got the book so I didnt get them. You can get off of this website though in the store.

Here are some pictures of homemade stuff if you are interested. Plenty of guides on the internet.

Parallettes PVC

parallettes.jpg

Dip Station PVC

post-185115-1262846315_thumb.jpg

I think some people also do make their own rings but buying them is probably better. I dont know too much about this maybe someone else will. My ceiling is in my garage and has rafters so I can go as high as I want but I think there are plenty of people who work out in rooms with a low rooftop and depending on how tall you are I think 6'10 will be ok. There is a guy on youtube who has a lot of videos doing the GB WODs and his cieling doesnt look to high. His feet often touch his ceiling.

Other equipment I have heard people talking about are resistance bands for prehab, yoga mats for stretching on, gymnastic boxes and stall bars. I dont think these are essential but they are probably useful or will come into use eventually.

The most important piece of equipment is the book and these forums though. You probably could figure out a way to do everything with what you have right now though. I am just making suggestions.

Good luck

vazurahan

Okay I checked on the prices of the book and the rings. I currently don't have the money to spend for them.

I just really have to make up with what I have right now. Door Pullup bar and pushup bar.

One of the reasons I got interested is because of this article http://gymnasticbodies.com/Articles/bui ... lympi.html

So I plan on learning the planche and front lever to get me started.

Can you give me a list of exercises that only require the ground or pushup bar and a pullup bar and two chairs as parallels?

It's so I can do more other than those two exercises while I'm still starting. And once I get done with all the movements that don't require rings then maybe I'll get interested in buying them. But for now, no rings for me. I'm a total beginner so I don't think I need those yet.

Blairbob

With only a door pullup bar and the floor, you can work levers and planche. With the two chairs, you can work dips, support, and L. HS and bridges only require the floor. HLL can be done off the pullup bar as well as hanging L.

For the most part, you can do a lot. You just can't work ring strength, muscle-ups, skin the cats (though you can sort of do them on a pullup bar).

Blairbob

Buying the digital book and make some ghetto rings in the meanwhile. You could go super ghetto like pvc handles and rope. That requires very little labor (though making rings doesn't take a lot of time or much more materials).

Joshua Naterman

You gotta save up for the book. Digital is great, that will save you some money.

Rings can wait for a while, you probably won't be ready for them for 3-6 months. If I were in your position I'd start putting money away for the rings and get the digital book. You can make all kinds of ghetto rings but I can tell you from experience that having a good set of rings is totally worth the money. Do what you can for now, but you are severely handicapped without the book.

vazurahan

Other than the L-Sit, Front Lever, Plange. Are there other beginner moves I should learn. That means moves without prerequisites just like this 3?

Blairbob
Are there other beginner moves I should learn

Umm, like a Handstand. Some kind, either on the wall (at an angle, even), off a box, or free standing.

Another basic is a 360 pull AKA "Skin the Cat" on rings/bar. Hang, pull through FL and Inverted Hang, through BL to German Hang and pull out. Well it's not so basic, but

'

Basic PB/Ring Support, straight arm plank front/back "Ag Walks", inverted hang.

Hollow and Arch/Superman hold.

FL and Planche are by no means, beginner-ish. The levers are probably intermediate to advanced intermediate. Planche is probably more advanced intermediate to advanced.

Headstand is one, but must be taken with care once you're adult sized and if there are any spine problems known or unknown.

Maybe a hand bridge. It's not super necessary but it is good for general mobility. I think most people should do some kind of bridging but it's debateable. This maybe back limbers for some or simply a bridge on a yoga ball for others.