Push and pull?

Started by Jonas Säll, January 31, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,244 Views

Jonas Säll

Hi! My name is Jonas and i am 42 years old. I have been climbing for 17 years and mainly bouldering for the last 15 years 3 times a week. I am a faerly accomplished climber and i can boulder up to 7C if that meens anything to you. I have for the last 2-3 months tried to incorporate the static positions into my other training. The way i have approched it so far is by doing 2 static positions at the last 30 min of a 2 hour climbing workout. I want to work at frontlever, backlever, human flag (aka sidelever), planche and L-sitt variations. I am able to do the advanced tuck frontlever and backlever for ca 10 sek. The tuck planche for 10 sek, the L-sitt for 25 sek (floor) The sidelever is by far the hardest for me and i am only able to just lift the feet of the ground for 5 sek. I do 2 exercises each time i train witch is 3 times a week.

My questions are:

If i want to do the one push and one pull exercise each time i train, witch goes best together.

So far Ive been doing frontlever and backlever one day. L-sitt and planchtraining one day and sidlever and handstandtraining the third day. I get very sore but i feel it helps my climbing strenghtwise but the recuperation between workouts are starting to bother me, any advice is much apprichiated.

By the way, im swedish so english is not my first language.

Bruno Cochofel

First of all, welcome... 7C is pretty good..

If you're a climber we are way better in pulling then in pressing so, if I where you, I would train more press to compensate all the pulling from the climbing (and bouldering is even harder...)

Go for the L-sit and straddle-l and do a lot of hollow holds, it will help with the body tension needed also in climbing ;-)

Of course, all the core exercises and handstand are good ;-)

If you want to do one press and one pull try:

- BL and straddle-l

- FL and L-sit

in different days and maybe it's time to low the volume so you can recover properly...

Jonas Säll

Thanks for your fast reply! I will try your push and pull structure. There is so much knowledge here, i almost drown in it :D

I am a beginner in gymnastics but its so much fun i will continue for a long time...

Some things that may ad to my soreness days after a session:

My weight is 82 kilos so im quite heavy for climbing (im not fat).

Im working the different exercises for 3-5 sets for as long i can hold them (usually 5-10 seconds), mayby to much?

Climbing in itself is very stressfull to your back muscles wich is where i get the most sore (where the latissimus atatches under your armpit and all around the shoulderblades).