FSPs

Started by Geico, January 30, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,276 Views

Geico

Hello,

I have almost finished BtGB and am starting to implement gymnastics into my workout routine. I am starting off by working up to 3x60s on the pre FSPs (plank, reverse plank, hollow hold, arch hold, support, and hang). At the moment, I've only done 1x60 on all of them (I've never done more than one set), and I was wondering once I can do all of them for 3x60s, what FSPs would be the best to start on (Other than the L-sit which I can do for 3x20s at the moment)? Also, how long should I be able to hold each progression before moving onto the next?

Thanks,

Sam

Blairbob

Up to Advanced tuck, work on a 60s hold. Straddle, 1/2 Lay, and Straight/Lay - shoot for 15-20 seconds.

After working up to 3x60s PreReqs, L-sit. If you can do a german hang for 3x60s, maybe you can work on BL (though I recommend achieving a 3x60s ring support prior). After achieving a 3x60 PB support and plank support, maybe you can start either Ring Support or Basic Frog Stand. After achieving a 3x60s hollow hold, maybe you can start tuck FL.

I say "maybe" because the actual prerequisites I know off hand come from the seminar but I can't talk about that publicly. Maybe it'll be in BtGB 2.0 but I do not know. However, you have a fairly decent chance of achieving success in FL/BL/PL if you can hit 3x60s of the prerequisites for the meanwhile.

For L-sit, it should be 30/60s. 30 as a minimum, 60 preferred.

Geico

Thanks for the response guys! I'll definitely keep on working my L-Sit. At the moment I train my L sit with the bridge and a side stretch for 3 sets 6 times a day. Can I train the PreReqs 6 times a week, or would 3 or 4 times a week be better? To Blairbob, totally understand about the seminar stuff, no worries! Hope I get to read about it soon!

D Nowell

3x60s on each preReq then 1x60s as a warm-up

60s max hold on each FSP up to and including the flat variations (planche, front and back lever, L-sits)

15s+ straddle variations before working final, full positions.

I believe the above is the general recommendation. Warm-up with easier variations. A solid L-sit prior to PL training (even FL to a degree) & German Hang before BL as already noted. Some have alluded there are some more minor progressions between these prereqs and the FSP - hopefully the 2nd edition of the book has better clarity.

Geico

Thanks! I definitely would like to start working static handstands. I can hold one on the wall for at least a minute at the moment. Definitely want to work up to freestanding ones!