Generating tension in static and dynamic contractions

Started by gymrob, September 24, 2008 · 2 Replies · 2,694 Views

gymrob

Hi all,

I was wondering, whether it be a advanced tuck planche or a pistols etc does anyone deliberately generate maximum tension even if it is not needed to complete the exercise? Are there any extra benefits?

I have read tension generating in Pavel's books but that is a slightly different context (for example very long rest between sets such as GTG) so what is everyons take on this? At advance levels such as straddle planche pushups I'm guessing maximum tension basically has to happen for the movement to be completed.

Thanks

thekyloe

Well, for me, once an exercise or progression got easy enough that I wasn't maximally contracting when performing it, I was usually ready for the next progression or a harder exercise...so, by continually increasing the load and difficulty, I kind of keep myself at maximal contraction in my workouts.

I have, however, found it beneficial to keep everything as tight as possible, no matter what the movement--seems to make things a bit easier to coordinate/do.

Nic Scheelings

Hi gymrob,

I feel it is a good idea to generate maximum tension. Initially when i started planche trainging i would merely get in to the position without really concentrating on muscle contraction. It was only when i concentrated on squeezing my chest and keeping my abs tight did i make much progress. Same thing with overhead pressing, pistols, pretty much anything i like to really make sure my body is tight.

Cheers