Getting started with below minimal strength

Started by Craig Mallett, January 27, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,054 Views

Craig Mallett

Hi Guys,

Got a quick question for you all. I've got a couple of clients that do not have enough strength and/or coordination to do the any of the following moves:

- inverted hang XR (i.e. go upside down in a tuck)

- back to wall kick to handstand

- back to wall kick to headstand

- take more than 2 steps up the wall with feet, 1 step with each hand on a cast wall walk and look like they are about to fall always.

While I have them working on basic strength skills I'm wondering weather its worth them simply trying to kick up into a headstand or handstand, the kick up then becoming the exercise in this case, or if there is a better way of regression the movements.

FYI basic strength I have them working on for now is:

Wrist strength series

Shoulder prehab

hollow/arch 2 x 30s

front support, rear support, side support L and R 2 x 30s

XR support 4 x 15s

Hanging L bent leg progression 4 x 15s or 2 x 30s

PB Support L as above

Frogstand (which at this stage they cannot balance at all)

I'm wondering weather it is worth them even trying handstands or lever stuff just yet or if its better just to hold off and wait till their strength builds a bit more. I'm afraid if I keep getting them to try even the cast wall walks, they are going to fall and hurt themselves. At this stage with the lever work i just have them jumping up to inverted (or as close as they can get) and trying to catch it, although they cannot get to the point yet where they can find the inverted balance point or even get their body up to that position. The jump usually gets them to about front lever height which they then promptly fall out of.

Any suggestions or should I just continue the way I am going now?

Alvaro

One question, how old are they ?, weight?.

I started unable to jump to inverted hang, as my basic strength improved and my weight decreased I finally was abe to do it. Just keep trying as a way of warm up, it will eventually come.

Also maybe trying "pushing" the wall and slowly go down, will allow them to become familiar with that straight arm pushing( usually beginers bend their arms due to the lack of confidence and then they obviously feel extremely weak and falling when atempting the HS)

edit: I´m not a trainer, nor have extensive experience training people, but this is my own limited experience , and trying to help friends to learn the wall HS. Maybe will be useful for you.

Blairbob

Hmm, they can hold a 15s ring support but can barely walk up the wall in a HS or pull themselves upside down on rings? This sounds odd.

Set the rings low and have them place their legs on a box. From there kick up to invert with a spot. They should have some grip strength before going inverted as an adult so they don't land on their head. They can also simply try to get their feet in the rings and after doing so, pull their hips till they are inverted and they can place their legs on the straps.

In a gymnastics we would often get a block or wedge mat that acts as a wall in which they would walk their feet up until they are upside down. This is a common drill used for bar pullovers. I've never really used it for inversions on low rings.