Something to read before designing your own routine

Started by Blairbob, September 23, 2008 · 31 Replies · 35,240 Views

Blairbob

http://eshlow.blogspot.com

This is an article and write-up by forum member Steven Low on PowerAthletesMagazine ( Tyler Hass's forum ) about creating and designing your own workout and routines.

I've seen so many new members asking for help on creating workouts/routines so this might be of some use to those individuals.

braindx

Version 1.2 is here. http://eshlow.blogspot.com/

Also, if you read the note in this version I may consider writing up a guide specifically on bodyweight exercise integration with weights and without weights although based on my personal preferences/experiences. If there's enough interest I'll get to work on it.

Chris H Laing

Definitely do it. I'm sure everyone on this forum is interested.

matthew.percussion
Chris H Laing said:
Definitely do it. I'm sure everyone on this forum is interested.

Very!

Razz

Bunch of my friends would love this to, since i can't convince them to go full bodyweight :)

kbryk

First time I've read this article, it's great hope everyone gets around to reading it! Has some actual hard science in it too, some of the stuff I can relate also.

Once I saw the word, oxidative phosphorylation, glycolysis, and the citric acid cycle I was happy.

Great examples! Keep up the great work.

Blairbob

Braindx is a highly educated beanpole and geek besides being " some smart, eh? "

David Picó García

I think this article is awsome, also from the scientific point of view (i'm biochemestrist, not working on that but thats my university degree) and i think it worths a sticky :wink:

I also recomend your iron cross article, which i found it great for achive the cross but i found it even better as a program routine article.

Sorry i didn't see that it was already 'stickied'. Anyway i recomend read it to everyone, is large but it worths every line.

Rocco

Hi all,

Just wondering if braindx has indeed written the bodyweight excercise integration article and if so where to find it? If not, then i'd be real interested to read it if it got done.

I read the other article(essay!) posted in this thread-very interesting but i have a few questions regarding it, if anyone can answer;

1) If one is to do the Power & Strength programme written in the article, for example, if there any conceivable sense in adding conditioning(i.e Hiit) onto the end of the list? Not in terms of whether it is too much work, but whether it will negate the purpose of a strength programme-to increase strength. However, if one was to add conditioning on say two out of four workouts p/week, does something from the list have to go?

2) From a nutritional point of view, can one drop Body Fat percentage on a strength programme like this and still increase strength. I know this depends on composition, and that plateu's are to be expected, but i am not in position where i can/need/want to gain mass.

braindx

Er, I have not written the bodyweight one yet. I have a general outline I have already, but not the motivation yet to do it.

1. Adding conditioning to any strength/power workout is fine. However, since you can't work all attributes at once, you will see some decreasing gains in your strength/power work if you add in conditioning/endurance stuff to it.

So it's up to you really... depends on how much you are about developing certain attributes.

2. Generally, yes. As your weight decreases, you can still add strength MOST of the time unless you weight is dropping too fast, or your strength is too high to increase it while dropping adipose mass. So if you're beginner intermediate probably yes... advanced/elite probably not.

You may be interested in the post I just wrote up today regarding the relationship between diet and exercise.

Gregor

Yes you can increase strength even thou you are on diet. But diet mustbe realy good.

Benji

Sorry guys, but every time I click on both of the eshlow links I get a page load error...may be because I'm in China? Would it be possible to copy the content and paste it into this thread as a post? I'm really anxious to read the article(essay!) Thanks in advance! :D

Also, BTW braindx, your bodyweight article?? how's it coming along? :wink:

ASForum
braindx said:
Version 1.2 is here. http://eshlow.blogspot.com/

Also, if you read the note in this version I may consider writing up a guide specifically on bodyweight exercise integration with weights and without weights although based on my personal preferences/experiences. If there's enough interest I'll get to work on it.

I've read the article 2-3 times. Its got tons of great information on detailed body physio etc. But knowing this Knowledge for me is knowing a lot.. and practicing none. i.e. I have been unable to start off and create a simple Newbie workout routine based on BtGB / Body Weight exercises.

I'm a case of someone who's used to processing tons of information and coming out with an Advisory Roadmap for Fortune 10, 20 companies. I think it comes from having had experience...

I figured that would be the way for Fitness as well.. But it just leaves me nowhere.

Its a case of going opposite the K.I.S.S. ... Not keeping it simple.

Basically, I have a kind of Writers Block of sorts for the workout routine. Can you please guide me / create a newbie routine or atleast a Template / Structure of the Newbie Routine?

Here is my post & my short / long term goals - Please look at them and guide me - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2461&p=15922#p15922

Hopefully someday I can repay the favor by help & guide you in an area where I have experience / expertise :).

I also looked into the References (Starting Strength etc..) but they all are derived from the Weight Training world.

I am sticking strictly to Body Weight Calisthenics, Xtreme Rings (Just bought them) & Paralletes (To be built soon).

I got a nice template in excel from a forum member.. Please take a look and tell me if this or a similar / different structure would work and how I start.

EXERCISE LOGGING CHART from forum member 'niftyvt':

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/23 ... 7946FZvQIU

niftyvt said:
I dont have an excel file uploaded but it is really simple. I just made a chart, each column is a different training day (1 through 4 for me) and each row is a different motion like push, pull, core, or legs. Remember to keep a journal about how you are feeling or if you tweak something while training and/or write about anything of note that happens during your sessions.

Here is my first ever SS cycle, take a look and dont be afraid to make notes and change things like I did.

2357091780068627946FZvQIU_th.jpg

Blairbob

Crashnburn, just go look up the Killroy70 routine and do that for awhile or follow the GB WOD till you think have a grasp and can work on one of your own based on some you see in a thread.

braindx

Look dude I'm not gonna do the work for you. Writing out a lot of this stuff takes so much time and effort, and there's so many people asking that it just gets to be too much. Plus, it's not like any of us here (besides Coach Sommer and his books/seminars) get paid for this or anything.

1. There's a pretty good GB WODs that are fine.

2. Some of the members have bit the bullet and experimented around with work like Blair suggested taking a look and using or modifying what they do for your own.

3. I give some decent programming examples in the strength/power section of this article above.

There's definitely examples and based on your goals you can modify. If you throw something together in general there's a lot of people who will help you refine it if you state your short/long term goals including myself.

Nutrition I think you should go Paleo.

ASForum

Ido Portal, Blairbob, Braindx - I've created a workout routine here based in Killroy70 reference -

Pls Adv Create 1st Routine: Mixing BtGB, Yoga, Punching Bag

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2526&start=0

I'd appreciate some guidance on what to cut out / should I proceed. How can I arrange / mix this..?

Have some questions & doubts I've posted if you can please clear them.

I hope I am not taking on too much. Do share your thoughts.

Razz

Just skimmed through it, looks GREAT!

heinrich

Great article! Thanks for taking your time to write it all down braindx :D

Charles Weill
braindx said:
The fundamentals of bodyweight strength training

Great Article. You are a very good writer. Thank you.

braindx

You're welcome.

Blairbob

I've already thanked you but I should do so again for posting it here.

ASForum
braindx said:
Update --

Finally got something out on bodyweight programming:

The fundamentals of bodyweight strength training

Looks like it should be a good read but for some reason I cant open it, either the site is slow / overloaded or something. Do check and share :)

Blairbob

It looks like it will be back up tomorrow, or so I'm told.