Prescribed tempo in WOD's

Started by Craig Rackemann, January 25, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,515 Views

Craig Rackemann

First, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

When following a WOD with a prescribed tempo, coach normally gives an example for one of the exercises however I'm confused when some exercises start with the eccentric part first, others concentric.

Is the tempo always written as the standard eccentric, pause, concentric?

OR

Is it the 3 phases of the movement in the actual order they occur?

Thanks!

Craig Rackemann

No exercises in particular - just a general question regarding how coach writes tempo.

For example, dips are eccentric, pause, concentric, whereas pull-ups are concentric, pause, eccentric.

I've always followed the written tempo in the order that those parts of the movement are done. In the example above, for a tempo of say 144, I would do a 1 second eccentric part of the dip, but a 1 second concentric part of the pull-ups.

This is different to what I thought the Poliquin / Ian King way of writing tempo was (I.e. always eccentric, pause, concentric)?

Does that make sense?

Coach Sommer
No exercises in particular - just a general question regarding how coach writes tempo.

For example, dips are eccentric, pause, concentric, whereas pull-ups are concentric, pause, eccentric.

I've always followed the written tempo in the order that those parts of the movement are done. In the example above, for a tempo of say 144, I would do a 1 second eccentric part of the dip, but a 1 second concentric part of the pull-ups.

This is different to what I thought the Poliquin / Ian King way of writing tempo was (I.e. always eccentric, pause, concentric)?

Does that make sense?

Good question.

No the tempo should not always be performed in the order written for each exercise as this will be different for both pulling and pressing. To help to avoid this type of confusion is why I generally always specifically mention either ascent or descent when prescribing tempos in the GB WODs.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer