Hey, all.
I stumbled across this board after searching Google to tendonitis related hits.
I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, lift weights, and started taking basic gymnastics a month ago.
Monday of last week, I completed my basic pressing weight lifting routine (bench, dips, etc.).
Tuesday I went to my intro gymnastics class -- we were working on some handstand walks, handstand pops, etc.
Wednesday I went to my usual jiu jitsu class.
On Thursday AM, I awoke to pain in my left arm, a litltle above the elbow, triceps region. I'd classify it as a dull ache. It definitely hurt when placed under load.
I suspect it's tendonitis. Since then, I've done RICE, and once the ache/pain went away while at rest, I started performing some active therapy rehab work on my own -- e.g., kickbacks, very light pressing for high reps, running to get my blood flowing, etc. My guideline for this has been to do work which engages that region while being pain free.
There is no pain at rest today (6 days later), however, doing some basic load tests indicate that it's not "normal" yet -- beginning inklings of pain when I start to put any signifcant load on it, so I back off and go back to low resistance -high rep exercises.
I really enjoyed the basic gymnastics class, but I am thinking I simply did too much too soon (and weightlifting strength does not necessarily translate into gymastic strength).
Any suggestions here other than to continue on doing what I am doing and eventually "buying the book"? I don't want it to turn into a chronic thing or tendonosis. If you've experienced something similar, how long did it take for you to come back to form?
I want to get healthy first before I tackle my gymanstics class again, but I am afraid that I might dive into things too soon. My brain says "go," but my body is telling me "no."
All input is welcome.