Looking for Beginner workout plan

Started by Paul. F, September 23, 2008 · 1 Replies · 3,567 Views

Paul. F

Hi, there my name is Paul and i am currently looking for something new yo get into. I have spent the last 2 and a half years injured with a knee injury that i suffered playing rugby and numerous other nicks and nagging injuries.

I am 5"10 and 170 pounds I have lost 20 pounds in that time I have been hurt so I've decided its time to make a change. I no real experience in gymnastic workouts but i would love to give it a try.

SO because of all these issues i am looking for a program that will not only get me back into shape but help me improve my flexibility which is in dire need of improvement. can u guys please help devise a beginners program please and thank you.

Blairbob

I just stickied this http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1047 which should give you a starting point.

If you are currently inflexible, make sure to do shoulder stick dislocates, cat stretch, kneeling pike, and work the bottom of the pistol by holding something. You can find most of these positions over at

http://www.drillsandskills.com under stretching.

Look up a Good Morning on youtube. This is a good stretch for your pike and hamstrings.

I would advise working a seated pancake split before a true side split. It's easier on beginner's who sometimes have knee problems with side splits early on. Sit on your butt, open your legs as wide as you can. Lean your torso forward with a straight back and your toes pointing up. Enjoy the hold.

Possibly look into foam rolling, especially if you have a lot of wear and tear and old nagging injuries. Or of course look into deep/soft tissue massage or ART.

Hang from a pullup bar every day to start loosening up those shoulders and back. A cat stretch works some of this but a BW load helps. Be careful of this if it causes discomfort in your shoulders. Hang, but support part of the load by keeping contact with the ground with your feet somehow.

Basic things to work on would be:

Wall Handstand

Front lever progression/pullups

Planche progressions/pushups

the Pistol

Floor Glute

Leg lifts/ L sit

Dips ( be careful if you shoulder problems )

Some of this will depend on what equipment you have available. Basically, do you have something to hang from on and something to support on. Planches can be done on floor or on parallettes ( I use hex DB ) and possibly dips can be done with chairs if you cannot do a supported dip yet.