Full Workout vs 5 min workouts

Started by Zingam, January 23, 2012 · 3 Replies · 9,192 Views

Zingam

Hi,

I'm in the very beginning of my FBE and FSP training. I've started just around Christmas. Well, I have been lifting weights for 5-6 years regularly before that. Unfortunately lifting weights didn't give me so much functional strength. So I am not a beginner to working out but a total beginner to gymnastic training. I am in relatively good shape now: 35yr. 5' 9.8" (177 cm) 150 pounds (68kg). I have managed to lose 30 pounds last year but I probably have another 8-10 pounds of body fat that I would like to get rid off. So it is now the best time of my life to start gymnastics. For the first time for many years I am not overweight though still a bit rounded (at 5' 9.8", 150 pounds and still some fat it means that I do not have much muscle mass but fortunately I am not a weakling anymore).

I lift weights still and do cardio (jogging, some rope jumping but I am not good at it and Tae-bo). I would like to replace the weights with gymnastic exercises gradually as my skill and strength improve.

Currently I am doing the very basics for the planche (the frog stand), the front lever and L-sits with some minor success.

Unfortunately sometimes I don't have time for a full workout (this week for instance). Would it make any sense to train these basic exercises for a few attempts a few times a day or a full workout is necessary for any real success? (Also I am still struggling to figure out how to create a proper workout that does not include weights.)

How often and for how long would it make sense to make the above mentioned exercises?

Blairbob

Create a circuit using the FBE's.

Pull, Push, Leg, Core, HS. Or HS, Pull, Push, Core, Leg.

2 rounds each, roughly 20-30s. This would be using Tabata principles but in a circuit. My friend liked 45/15 but IMO, more work was done with 20/10 when it came to reps accomplished.

Or you can just set up a few couplets during the week. Pull/Leg, Push/Core. or HS/Core/Leg. I think you get the idea.

If you were short on time, do one of these 5 minute circuits and in any spare time during the day practice a frog stand or tucked front lever or Lsit or HS.

That's basically a minimalist approach.

Zingam

Thanks, Blairbob, you are so helpful. Should I do these every day or should I have "rest" days too?

Blairbob

That's entirely up to you and what you're capable of.