Planche progression tips

Started by Michikawa, January 20, 2012 · 2 Replies · 5,326 Views

Michikawa

Hi!

I am 30 years old and I haven't done gymnastics. I started practising hand-stand about seven years ago and did some capoeira acrobatics for a few years in addition to other martial arts. Three years ago I got interested in planche / levers and ring progressions and found this forum. At the moment I am semi actively keeping my current level of strength and have been doing some weight lifting and crossfit training, but there's still a part in me that would very much like to get front lever / back lever and full planche finally into my arsenal.

So my question is: what would be a good way to get over a sort of "plateau" in planche / lever progression?

At the moment it is quite easy for me to do clean tuck planche and one of my favourite exercises at the moment is to start from clean l-sit, then tuck my legs in but stay in the l-sit position and move my legs underneath me behind my arms and hence move into tuck planche without touching ground. In this position I can do a push-up while keeping the tuck planche stable and then come back to l-sit without touching ground.

However, I still cannot hold advanced tuck or straddle planche. I cannot pinpoint where the required extra power is missing at the moment as the normal tuck doesn't really cause too much trouble, but the advanced feels really overwhelming. But so far it seems that if I only keep doing the normal tuck it doesn't really help me progress to the next moves. There's something missing in my personal progression.

I have been thinking that would the front lever / back lever progression help me past this point so should I concentrate on them or? Any ideas?

Mats Trane

This is a realy good article:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&p=57581#p57581

Michikawa

Ah, thank you! Indeed, I think I have been concentrating on the "pushing" more than leaning.