Doubts and more doubts

Started by Ivan Pellejero, January 18, 2012 · 12 Replies · 3,675 Views

Ivan Pellejero

Hi, my name is ivan, im 21 years old, i'm 6ft tall and i weight 138lbs. I've been doing some training for 4 months now and after testing my static holds I got this numbers: L-sit(floor)-35s, tucked planche-30s, flat tuck BL-35s, flat back FL-35s. I'm certainly sure that what I did was wrong because I felt a little overtrained so i'm thinking about restarting everything from scratch.

Before attempting any static hold, should I work through the prerequisites of 60s in arch hold, hollow hold, PB support, chin up dead hang, plank and reverse plank? I got 60s in all except for the hollow hold, how do I know when the praparation time is over?.

All in all, while i'm doing this I will also do all the movility drills like wrist preparation, walking wall bridges as well as Ido's back routine, Ido's scapula routine, wall extension, etc.

This are my initial doubts, of course I have many more but overwhelm you is the last of my goals, thanks in advance and I hope you can clear this out.

Ivan Pellejero

Well, thanks for your reply. I'm starting over because I did it wrong and almost ended injuring myself.If I train 4 days a week should I do something like this? DAY 1:core, 2:legs, 3:pressing variations, 4:pulling variations. In every day I would do the pre + the variations of the day, or should I combine the excercises in any other way?.

Joshua Naterman

I think that starting with the prerequisites is absolutely necessary, but if your position is good and you feel the right muscles activating then I would suggest doing a single set of each FSP 3-4 days per week at 60-80% of max hold time just to maintain what you have. if the position is bad, you may want to abandon the FSP. If you can get video of the FSP up into a new topic in Digital Coaching we can probably help you out. A side view as well as a front view would be most helpful, but the side view is absolutely indispensible, we have to see that one at the very least.

Samuel Carr

On a sidenote, what is the point of building up to a 60 sec chin up hang? Seems kinda pointless

Joshua Naterman

It is not. I have personally seen it make quite a difference for a number of the guys at GSU. Makes it easy to do full ROM dead hang pull ups, even for my friend who is 280 and has never been able to do a full ROM pull up in his life. Also prepares you for swing work, maintains muscle length (helps with mobility), and most importantly provides a baseline grip that will not fail during FSP work. There are many reasons things are the way they are.

Coach Sommer
element3904 said:
On a sidenote, what is the point of building up to a 60 sec chin up hang? Seems kinda pointless

To ensure that full ROM exists through the wrist, forearm and shoulders in a vertical hang. You would be amazed how many people are unable to perform this simple exercise.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ivan Pellejero

Well, thank you all for your help, it's really helping. About the killroy routine, if I got it right then it would be, 4 days a week, in every day I perform the 4 FSP's(1 rep of all at 60-80%) after my pre. and then 2 FBE's for that given day. right? I will upload a video with my FSP's later. By FSP's I mean L's, BL, FL and PL. If so, then when should I introduce the HS? I have a solid HS(will be in the video) and my HS wall runs are about 1,30m or more. And finally, if leg work could be introduced every day, should I do it between days?

Again, thanks you in advance, this is more valuable than gold to me.

Zingam

Great ideas! Thanks!

Joshua Naterman
Bdk1786 said:
falconpawnch said:
Well, thank you all for your help, it's really helping. About the killroy routine, if I got it right then it would be, 4 days a week, in every day I perform the 4 FSP's(1 rep of all at 60-80%) after my pre. and then 2 FBE's for that given day. right? I will upload a video with my FSP's later. By FSP's I mean L's, BL, FL and PL. If so, then when should I introduce the HS? I have a solid HS(will be in the video) and my HS wall runs are about 1,30m or more. And finally, if leg work could be introduced every day, should I do it between days?

Again, thanks you in advance, this is more valuable than gold to me.

That is correct as far as the template goes. After a few weeks, try your FSPs for the 60s, probably spread over a few sets. I would suggest you start HS work ASAP. I personally do 10 mins of HS work every day. That 10 mins includes rests of no more than 30-45s. Be it Wall runs, Static HS, HS press, HSPU...ect. Try 5 mins at first including rests. Gauge how fatigued you are and adjust accordingly. This shouldn't feel like a workout, but rather a warm up at best. You can even do 60s of HS in your FSP or pre req warmup if you feel you have the capacity. When i do legs, I strive for 2 days minimum a week. On a MTRF WOD week, I would do my legs on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday. As suggested by Coach, I will be doing some OL during the WOD leg days. I would also suggest working Straddle L work in your FSP and some manna work, but this can be extremely taxing to start and should be approached cautiously. Play around with your pre reqs, FSP warm ups and workout to find that happy balance. I (we) look forward to your videos to come.

If they don't have a solid straddle L AND 30s advanced L (proper form), there isn't much point in moving beyond reverse plank in terms of manna work because their upper back and triceps just aren't strong enough to use a proper position for even a low bent MSH. L sit and straddle pike flexibility should be the top priority, and straddle L work here and there to turn the passive flexibility to active flexibility is a good idea.

Julekman

Please, just to clear something about chin up dead hang. For me, that means full ROM straight arms, vertical hang, head in bottom position, ears between shoulders, right ? Or hold with head above bar in a top static position ? Someone mentioned that second version, so I have dilemma now...

Julekman

Thank you Bdk1786 ! :)

Joshua Naterman

BDK definitely seems to have a good understanding of things :)

Blairbob
Please, just to clear something about chin up dead hang. For me, that means full ROM straight arms, vertical hang, head in bottom position, ears between shoulders, right ? Or hold with head above bar in a top static position ?

A chin-up dead hang would just be a hang with a supinated hand grip.