Side lever help on one side

Started by changeup, January 17, 2012 · 2 Replies · 2,120 Views

changeup

Hey all. So I started doing half negative side levers and noticed that I can lower myself slowly when my right hand is on the bottom stall bar, but not when my left hand is on the bottom. It's not very controlled, if at all. Is this something that will come with time with my left hand on the bottom, or is there a different exercise I can use to strengthen this? Should I hold off with the movement with the right? You know, to prevent muscles on one side :lol: Thanks

Philip Chubb

It is fairly common and will balance out over time. To help prevent imbalance, do the weaker side first, and then match the reps and time on the other side. Try doing an advanced tuck if needed to make sure you can control it well enough.

This is assuming your form isn't the issue of course.

Rafael David

One thing that can help is get a solid full front lever (~15-20s) and a good handstand (open shoulder/straight line/30-60s). I hit these first and just for fun tried jump into a full flag and held in a very horizontal line for 10s, then I started working on it. Basically, HS, FL and PL are the best for who wanna master bodyweight skills, IMHO. Get these and the rest gonna be easy.