Newcomer workout critique

Started by vince_monaco, January 17, 2012 · 7 Replies · 2,906 Views

vince_monaco

I've spent quite a while reading through the forums and have put together a workout schedule but I'd be grateful if someone with more gymnastics experience would critique it so that I know I'm on the right track. A bit about me:

30 years old (as of next month)

Zero gymnastics experience but some experience of basic bodyweight exercises (press-ups, pull-ups, dips and suchlike)

Around 14 years of weightlifting experience (3 sessions/week up until 2009, then just one fairly easy all-body session/week since)

80 kg @ around 13% bodyfat

No injuries but my flexibility isn't great (lower back and shoulder mobility are both particularly poor)

I've now quit lifting weights altogether with the aim of getting as strong and lean as possible purely through bodyweight exercises, my immediate goals consisting of being able to perform some well known exercises and static holds (Iron Cross, Planche, Handstand, Front Lever, Back Lever Muscle-up and Dragon Flag).

At the moment I can only manage 3 x 8 bar pull-ups (knees raised), 3 x 15-20 floor press-ups and I can hold a Frog Stand for about 8 seconds! Handstand is completely impossible, as is a Back Bridge, so I know that I've really got my work cut out.

I plan on training Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday alternating between these two workouts (A, B, A, B):

A

Ring Pull-ups (3 x 6)

Ring Chin-ups (3 x 6)

2-arm hang (60 secs)

Inverted rows (3 x 6)

Superman hold (60 secs)

Hollow hold (60 secs)

Press-ups (3 x 20)

Frog Stand (60 secs)

B

Plank (60s)

Reverse Plank (60 secs)

Side plank (60 secs)

Wall walks (feet on wall, 3 x 6)

Wall walks (hands on wall, 3 x 6)

Rings Support Position (60 secs)

Ring leg raises (3 x 6)

The above rep/hold figures are what I'm aiming for, but I understand that I should never train to failure (which is a completely new concept for me).

I'll also be doing about 1/2 hour of stretching and prehab work after each training session (shoulders, elbows, wrists, core, back and legs).

I won't be doing any leg exercises at all because my other main interest is road cycling, so they get the exercise that they need through training and racing.

Any thoughts? Be brutal! I'd rather have it ripped to shreds and get off to a good start than kid myself into thinking it's all good when it isn't .

Ian Legrow

This seems like a good routine. Just keep in mind in the hollow poisition you lower back needs to be pressed into the ground. To make sure it is you might want to have someone see if they can put a ruler between your lower back and the floor when you get into the position. In the superman Position try to make sure your legs are close together and your arms are in front of you. If its too hard (it was on me) pread your legs and arms until that gets to easy then bring them closer together the better at the position you get. AAnd you want to make sure that you get your max times and divide them in half. I.E. If you do a plank and you can only hold it for 22 seconds, Your workout will bee doing 6x11. Doing that will build strength because of the volume.

Hope this helps

-Ian Legrow

P.S. WELCOME TO THE FORUM

vince_monaco

Thanks for the reply.

When I try to hold the hollow position my lower back is off the floor, and the more fatigued I get whilst trying to maintain the position the more it arches and raises off the floor. It's completely involuntary and really frustrating as I just can't keep it pinned down! Short of somehow weighting down my hips, is there any way for me to work on this? An easier version of the hollow that I can use as a progression to the proper thing, maybe?

Ian Legrow

I had a similar problem when i started. Stand sideway and look at yourself in the mirror. Tighten you glutes and push out your pelvis (move your hips forward. You should see your lower back flatten. Then lay down and attempt toi do the same thing on the floor. This is what helped me. There are a lot of people who do this wrong for a couple of months before they fully understand. All you need to do my friend is practice. sometimes is frustrating :shock: but go figure.

Hope this helps

-Ian Legrow

Blairbob

An easier version of the hollow is to pike a bit at your hips and perhaps keep your arms pointing to the ceiling rather than behind your head.

Some of our weaker kids are instructed to just keep their hands on the top of their thighs during a hollow hold.

vince_monaco

Going back to what was said about building strength through volume, should I therefore approach all static holds in this way? And does this rule also apply to repetition exercises (e.g. my pull-up maximum is 15 reps so I should aim for 6x7)?

**EDIT** I've done more reading and think I've answered these questions. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like doing 6 x 50% maximum is the way to go for all static holds, and for repetition exercises something like 5x5 or 4x6 would be a good target.

Kris CHARTON

Hi,

For Fbe (dips, pull up..) use a scheme 3X3, 3X5 or 5X5 is a good way.

For Fsp (frogstand..) yes, they should be working at 50% of your max.

ex: max frogstand = 12s 12s/2(50%)= 6s 60s(the goal) /6 = 10s >>> you have to do 10sets of 6s

vince_monaco

I tried a few easier variations of the hollow hold last night to find my limitations, and found that it only takes around 5 seconds of holding a simple leg raise position on the floor (with arms by my sides) before my hips spring backwards and my lower back arches, so I've got my work cut out :)

Obviously something, somewhere is very weak. Is this likely to be my abs or my lower back? I can't work it out.