Okay and the Routine (Please Critique)

Started by ryantherobot, September 21, 2008 · 8 Replies · 4,173 Views

ryantherobot

First off let me begin by saying a very big thank you to Coach Sommer and all the other members of this forum that have already been helpful. I've been asking many questions lately and still have a few more but anyways.... As a result of the many exercises and articles I've read, I've developed the following workout plan for myself. Please comment as much as possible. Some of it is just notes I made while reading articles but I think its all fairly clear as to what it means.

One of my concerns is whether its a good idea to train after my TKD Class. Not because I'm tired but because it would mean first training at around 7:45pm, eating dinner close to 8:30pm, and I usually pass out by about 10pm... I don't know when else I could fit it all in though.

Also it might be strange but I would like to incorporate reading into my workout. I read a lot but I would like to be able to read with full comprehension during a workout as mental preparation for OCS and being able to think while under duress – any ideas on how to go about this would be appreciated.

Another concern is after Coach Sommer replied to my question in regards to running that perhaps I'm overdoing it on Tuesday/Friday/Sunday but then he had a bike ride which I won't have. Also there is quite literally nothing to do on Sundays where I am so I wanted to either Run or Train and felt Running would be the more beneficial one at this point.

Goals:

20 Pull-Ups (E)

20 Curl-Ups (E)

100 Sit-Ups in 2 minutes (E)

50 Rep Push-Up Sets (E)

10 Rep of Double Clap Push-ups (P)

10 Handstand Push-ups (S)

4 second Dragon Flag (S)

4 second Planche (S)

4 second V-Seat (S)

3 mile run in 20 minutes ©

Goal Note:

I want to be able to do a 3 mile run, 20 pull-ups/curl-ups, 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes in any order with no break between (for USMC Officer Candidate School test).

Strength

Power

Endurance

Cardio

---------------------

Free Time:

Monday: After Taekwondo (TKD) could theoretically train

Tuesday: All afternoon free

Wednesday: After TKD could theoretically train

Thursday: After TKD could theoretically train

Friday: All afternoon free

Saturday: All day free

Sunday: All day free

C: T/F/Sun

E: Every morning: Pull-ups/Sit-ups/Push-ups/Curl-ups

S: After TKD and Sunday

P: After TKD and Sunday

Grease the Groove:

This is how I've been doing and wish to continue developing my Pull-ups and Chin-Ups, to some degree I've also been doing Dips though the frequency is much lower. I'm hesitant to do GtG Push-ups or Sit-ups because I tend to break a sweat much faster in those exercises and it makes continuing my day much more difficult.

Monday:

Wakeup and do a set of Sit-ups &Push-ups

Shower, change, go to work

At work on free periods do GtG Dips

After work do GtG Pull-Ups/Curl-Ups

[the above is Daily Routine]

After school teach TKD

Home from TKD ~7:45pm, do 'Train A'

Tuesday:

Daily Routine

Run for 15 minutes

Break

Do 'Train B'

Wednesday and Thursday:

Same as Monday

Friday:

Daily Routine

Run for 15 minutes

Break

Run for 10 minutes

Saturday:

Daily Routine [minus dips since I won't have work]

Do 'Train A' followed by 'Train B'

Sunday:

Daily Routine [minus dips since I won't have work]

Walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile

'Train A – Core Skills'

6x10sec Frog Planche

3x5 Leg Lifts (Left + Middle + Right = 1rep)

3x20sec Handstand Against Wall

3x3x4sec Headstand Bends (3 sets of 3 reps holding each one for 4 seconds)

2x30sec Plank (Left + Middle + Right = 1rep)

2x5sec L Seat

'Train B – Power Skills'

3x5 Pistols (each leg)

Run to other end of field holding coconut

3x5 Jump Pikes

Run to other end of field holding coconut

3x5 Clap Push-ups

Run to other end of field holding coconut

Shot-put coconut alternating hands - Sprint to coconut until at the start

1xMax Clap Push-ups

*Monitor progression and in 1 month update sets/reps/progressions/endurance as needed to reach goals*

(Once I'm capable of running the full 3 miles I'll make substantial adjustments incorporating the Pull-ups and Sit-ups into the run in varying orders)

If there's no serious concerns from you all I'm planning on starting this on Monday and hopefully recording my progress in the Workout Log forum

Nick

The only problem I see with that routine is that you're trying to do so many things at once that it's going to be hard to make real progress at any one thing. Also, you have no days off at all; you're training 7 days a week, which is going to be hard to recover from. Recovery is not solely on the individual muscle level, but also on a systemic level, and by never taking a day off you'll find it will wear you down. Even if you're greasing the groove, you still should have at least a day or two a week off.

My suggestion would be to prioritize what you most want to improve in the month (i.e. strength, endurance, or power - cardio fits in the endurance category), and focus on that. Obviously goals like the planche and v-sit aren't going to happen in a month, but depending on where you're at, some of those endurance goals are very achievable. Endurance is much easier to build than strength. In my opinion, you should focus on strength, as increased strength leads to increased endurance potential; however, if the endurance is more important to you, there's no reason you shouldn't focus on it.

ryantherobot

Hmm I agree with the overtraining I think and I think I realized a solution that somehow escaped me before. I could take Monday and Thursday off and perhaps add the 'Train A' to Sunday sometime after my run. That would also alleviate my concerns about training so late at night. Do you think this would still be working to many skills? Thus the schedule would look like:

Monday: Off

Tuesday:

Daily Routine

Run for 15 minutes

Break

Do 'Train B'

Wednesday:

Off

Thursday

Wakeup and do a set of Sit-ups &Push-ups

Shower, change, go to work

At work on free periods do GtG Dips

After work do GtG Pull-Ups/Curl-Ups

[the above is Daily Routine]

After school teach TKD

Home from TKD ~7:45pm, do 'Train A'

Friday:

Daily Routine

Run for 15 minutes

Break

Run for 10 minutes

Saturday:

Daily Routine [minus dips since I won't have work]

Do 'Train A' followed by 'Train B'

Sunday:

Daily Routine [minus dips since I won't have work]

Walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile

Break

'Train A'

Nick

Well, if it was me, I'd get rid of the separate "A" & "B" categories and just have one group of skills that you work with greater frequency. Instead of 10+ skills that you work each one 2/3 times per week, maybe have ~5 skills that you work on each of your training days. Of the skills you've listed that I've done - planche, handstand, plank, l-sit, and pistols - I know all respond to a frequency greater than 2 days a week. You still want time off, so the days off are a good idea, but for real improvement, you'll probably need more frequency. And it will probably be too hard to do all of your A & B skills 5x a week.

ryantherobot

Okay another revision.... with this I didn't completely drop the second training aspect but only do it once a week as a sort of HIIT. And now the bulk training is done 4 a week. At the bottom I checked the On/Off Schedule and it seems ok to me.

'Daily Routine'

2minutes of Sit-ups in morning

25 Push-ups in morning

GTG Pull-ups/Curl-ups (alternating)

GTG Dips

'Train A – Core Skills'

6x10sec Frog Planche

3x5 Leg Lifts (Left + Middle + Right = 1rep)

3x20sec Handstand Against Wall

3x3x4sec Headstand Bends (3 sets of 3 reps holding each one for 4 seconds)

2x30sec Plank (Left + Middle + Right = 1rep)

2x5sec L Seat

'Power Circuit' (HIIT)

3x5 Pistols (each leg)

Run to other end of field holding coconut

3x5 Jump Pikes

Run to other end of field holding coconut

3x5 Clap Push-ups

Run to other end of field holding coconut

Shot-put coconut alternating hands - Sprint to coconut until at the start

1xMax Clap Push-ups

Monday:

Day Off

Tuesday:

Daily Routine

Train A

Break

Run 15 Minutes

Wednesday:

Daily Routine

Train A

Thursday:

Day Off

Friday:

Daily Routine

Run for 15 minutes

Break

Run for 10 minutes

Saturday:

Daily Routine

Train A + Power Circuit

Sunday:

Daily Routine

Walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile, walk ¼ mile, run 1 mile

Train A

Train A (Strength/Skills): 2 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 1 day off

Power Circuit (HIIT): Once a week

Running: 1 day on, 2 days off, 1 day on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off

Blairbob

Are you doing your daily training right before your A workout? Or with enough time in between? Obviously, some of this stuff is stated upon wake-up but I'm not sure.

Hopefully, you're not doing all that endurance before A workout on Sunday. Do it after.

Nick

That looks pretty good. The only suggestion I might make is to move the pistol squats to the A skills group because you don't have any lower body strength moves anywhere else so it'd probably be good to do those more frequently. But again, that's up to you, and depends on your goals and motivations. Also, I agree with Blairbob that you should do your distance running last. The daily routine doesn't seem very draining so I doubt it would affect your A skills but 3 miles of running definitely would.

Blairbob

4 miles of running besides 1 mile of walking. That would also take quite a bit of time. Possibly, nearly not quite an hour.

ryantherobot

thanks for all the help, ill give it a shot this week with pistols in training A as well.

as for the walk/run you have no idea how much time I have on my hands on Sunday - killing large amounts of it is a good thing. I don't see another life on Sunday, nor can I. There are no buses, nothing is open, and I'm not allowed to drive. (I'm a Peace Corp Volunteer in a rural village in a third world country)

I'll be sure to put the Train A before the Cardio though, somehow slipped my mind on Sunday even though I did it everywhere else.

And the Daily Routine is just Pushups/Situps in the morning and Pull-ups whenever I get a chance to walk over to the tree I do them on.

Thanks again Nick and Blairbob.