Starting Out - Am I going in the right direction?

Started by Hawky, January 13, 2012 · 1 Replies · 1,849 Views

Hawky

Hi guys, I picked up a copy of BtGB recently and have been trying to make sense of all the information out there. I've made some notes and wanted to see if I was on the right track before I actually started out.

Warm Up:

Plank

Reverse plank

Perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

Arch hold in the superman flying position

Parallel Bar support

Chin up grip dead hang

Do these for 60 seconds each. If I can’t manage it for 60 seconds, do 3 sets for as long as I can keep strict form.

As well as these, Wrist pushups from knees. I'm not really sure on how many sets/reps of these to do or any variations I should attempt?

WODs:

Work through the WODs, use BtGB to scale exercises to an appropriate level, 3 to 4 times per week. I am a football (soccer) referee and I do more games in some weeks than others, so I'll have to change between 3 and 4 sessions depending on my schedule.

Where do you recommend I start from with these? Should I start with the oldest WoDs and work through them, or does it not matter what order they are performed in?

Stretching:

Seal stretch

Pike stretch

Cat stretch (shoulder flexion)

German stretch (shoulder extension)

Right/left front split

After warming up lunge and single leg half split (are these jazz splits? Can't find an example of them otherwise.)

Yoga plow

Bridge

Stretch Duration – 30 seconds, do each stretch twice each.

Do this once per week on the same day for the first 4-6 weeks, depending on how quickly the stretches improve, and then add another stretch day per week (and/or?) change the routine.

That's all I've got so far, I'd be very grateful if people could give me feedback on my notes and answer some of my queries.

Thanks,

Hawky.

Blairbob

Not a jazz split which is sometimes called a stag split as in a stag leap.

http://drillsandskills.com/stretching/Splits/sp002

Wrist series should be for 10 repetitions. 1 set typically, sometimes 2.

Besides chin up hang (supinated hang), pronated pullup hang.