new to "frog" and "handstands" wrists o

Started by golfwolf, September 20, 2008 · 3 Replies · 3,165 Views

golfwolf

I'm new to this type of training and was wondering if it's more beneficial to learn the progressions on my wrists, or with the aid of paralletes (in my case push up stands)?

Blairbob

I do most of it on parallettes, but I need to work it on my hands because I have noticed my ability to hold it nearly as long as parallettes isn't there. It is nicer on my wrists though.

Chris

I would advise doing them on parallettes and do wrist strenghtening pushups coach Sommer recomends, I started from the floor (tuck planche) when my wrists weren't strong enough and had to pause for 12 weeks due to wrist injury :) don't make the same mistake.

And when You're strong enough give the floor a try.

George Launchbury

Further to Blairbob's and Chris's posts:

Coming from an angle of logic, rather than experience, I would suggest that doing some of your work on paralettes would be advantageous. While the different angles and leverages of the positions/movements make the exercises progressively more difficult, your weight remains your weight throughout. Asides from a gradual increase in wrist angle in the planche progressions ...the weight your wrists need to support remains constant, and therefore the conditioning of your wrists can be ramped up alongside the exercises. Same for handstand work.

I imagine there would be some benefit to working the relevant musculature slightly differently as well - working on paralettes would be more like doing them with your fingers pointing sideways, and will invariably result in slightly different angles for your elbows and therefore shoulders?

You will need to work on the floor enough to learn to balance in those positions, and also to gain strength at the extremes of your ROM. Lets also remember that connective tissue repairs at around 1/10th the rate of muscle tissue, so recovery and building of strength will take longer ...and as long as you can support your weight AOK by the time you get your planche, it's all good! :)

Regards,

George.