Is age a problem?

Started by Systemic, January 6, 2012 · 11 Replies · 2,851 Views

Systemic

Hey, I'm 16 years old and I'm really interested in doing gymnastics. My flexibility isn't bad, I'm pretty flexible. I'm also building strength with pull up bars and other basic trainings. I've also been doing FSP's for a bit now. I just wanna know if its a good idea to enter a club for gymnastics and take it more serious than just a hobby.

I heard that I can build the appropriate strength faster than usual with the help of weights (even though I prefer bodyweight and I also don't like the idea of using weights anyway).

RatioFitness

I'm 30 and if I ever meet you I'm going to beat the crap out of you for asking this question.

No go away and start training with your youthful hormones, stellar recovery ability, and ample amounts of time to explore the world of gymnastics.

Kids these days........ :roll:

Systemic

Haha well I didn't believe it at first but after going to a few clubs they told me "You have to be 8 at most to register" I'm not even kidding, this is what they told me. But thanks I appreciate it your reply.

Philip Chubb

A lot of clubs cater more towards young kids. Not as big a thing for older to more adult ages so I understand. But of course, if you can find one that allows teens or adults to train, join it and enjoy it!

RatioFitness
Dawingo said:
Haha well I didn't believe it at first but after going to a few clubs they told me "You have to be 8 at most to register" I'm not even kidding, this is what they told me. But thanks I appreciate it your reply.

Yeah, if you can find a gym that will take you then it is 10000000% worth your time.

Blairbob

There may or may not be gyms out there. Still, there are teen/adult classes out there (which sometimes are more like open gyms) besides open gyms.

Some colleges in the US have collegiate clubs.

There are gymnastic camps for teen/adults at Woodward. Very expensive though for a week (about $1k).

Systemic

Only problem is I don't live in the USA. There are like only 3 known gym places where I live. Never heard of a private (since those 3 are the country clubs) clubs. Thanks a lot anyway. Much appreciated!

Falcon
Dawingo said:
Hey, I'm 16 years old...

:lol:

Blairbob

What country? In some countries, there are some private gymnastic clubs. Not many, but some. In other countries, where gymnastics is state sponsored, there are pretty few and it is unlikely you could train there.

Systemic
Blairbob said:
What country? In some countries, there are some private gymnastic clubs. Not many, but some. In other countries, where gymnastics is state sponsored, there are pretty few and it is unlikely you could train there.

You probably haven't heard of it but Kuwait. Somewhere in the middle east. All of the major clubs said that I have to be no more than 8. I'm still trying to find a private club but no luck until now.

marquito76r

no its not....but it sounds like an excucuse

Andrew Komarnyckyj

Is age a problem?

Dawingo said:
Hey, I'm 16 years old....).

I wish I had your problem. I'm 54. In two months I'll be 55. 'Nuff said.