Is this Correct?

Started by Mikyewicz, January 3, 2012 · 5 Replies · 9,211 Views

Mikyewicz

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I've been reading this forum for a couple of days. Also I read the book that the coach wrote. So i have a little bit of knowledge. Unfortunately, I'm from the Czech Republic and my english is not perfect. So appologise for any mistakes.

My question is: Is my training correct or wrong? And do I understand it correctly?

A little bit about me: I'm 17 years old, weight 68kg, height 178cm. My legs are quite larger than my arms (more muscular). My arms are quite thin. So my parametres are not really good for gymnastics. But i really like it. I've been exercising for some years (Parkour/Freerunning, Yoga and bodybuilding) but without serious results. I've always liked gymnastics! But in our country it is not possible to start doing this with a Coach or proffesionally when I'm 17 years old. Also there is no one who would teach me about gymnastics correctly.

This is why I'm here. For your help.

With the help of the book and this forum, i created a training program for myself.

But I'm not sure if it's correct.

So here it is:

Warm up

1. Some basic rotations (neck, arms etc...)

2. Then FSP for begginers that i found here:

Plank – 60s

Reverse Plank – 60s

Hollow hold – 20s x 3 sets

Arch hold – 25s x 3 sets

Hangs (over, under grip) – 60s

German hang – 25s

Support hold on rings – 10s x 5-6 sets

Wall hand-stand (face to the wall) – 25s x 3 sets

Planche lean (with fingers backward and also to the sides) – 25s x 3 sets

(I do everything that is written above every day for warm up)

3. FSP (every second day)

L-sit: PB low (on two chairs) – 15s x 4 sets

Back lever: tuck (rings, palms facing down) – 15s x 4 sets

Front lever: flat tuck (rings, straight arms) – 15s x 4sets

Planche: adv. Frog (only once or twice per week) – 10s x 4-5sets

4. FBE (everyday, I'm rotating the exercises)

For example: Monday = ring rows 8x5sets + ring push-ups 6x5sets + core exercises (all in super sets)

Tuesday = Pull-ups 6x5 sets + ring Dips 6x5sets + legs exercises (all in super sets)

Etc...

After all of this I usually do some prehab for shoulders and wrists. And some serious stretching.

So that's it. I have a bad feeling that it's too much... I always feel bad when I don't exercise one day. I'm really hyperactive and always need something to do.

Please. I need your help. I will be happy if someone will help me.

And appologise if this is stupid topic. In case just delete it.

Thanks, Michal Polach :)

Ian Legrow

First off, Hello! and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here as much as i have.

Second, There is no such thing as a stupid question, becasue believe me if there was I already asked them.

With your workout it is important to listen to your body. When i first started out i was just doing this:

Plank – 60s

Reverse Plank – 60s

Hollow hold – 20s x 3 sets

Arch hold – 25s x 3 sets

Hangs (over, under grip) – 60s

After about 2 weeks I was able to hold all those for 60s. (by the way, i would recommend you get good on you PB support hold before continuing the XR support hold.) Now keep in mind when I say I was able to hold all these for 60 seconds, I did not realize i was doing the hollow hold's wrong until 3 months later. So be prepared to realize that you were making mistakes along the way if you do not have a coach. with the knowledge that you were into free running/parkour and bodybuilding before gymnastics training started, its good. However, i would recommend starting slow first with the outline i provided above. it is always best to start slow then start too fast and have to recover from injury .If you feel like you can handle all of those FSP's go for it! but I know i couldn't and i was a body builder for 6 months before hand.

Best of luck!

-Ian

Vincent Stoyas

Personally, I'm capable of holding 1x60s for the pre FSP warm up (except the hollow hold, I still can only do 1x40s), but I cannot hold them for 3x60s. I think you're best off working up to three sets of that before moving into the FSPs.

I also noticed, you don't have any PB support in your work. Add that, now. It also took me until last week to really realize the importance of building to 60s of L sit tuck. You're not going to feel it much in your core, but it will help stabilize your support and shoulders dramatically. It can and will help you immensely when working your L sit low and L sit progressions.

Mikyewicz

Thanks for the answers! About the PB support... I can hold PB support for 60sec. quite easy so I decided to work more on my support hold on rings (slowly). Also I don't have PB. I have only two chairs as alternation here at home, Rings and pull-up bar.

For the FSP: I decided to concentrate more on developing Hollow hold, arch hold, etc... Then move to the Levers, planches etc. And you also said that some L-sit work should be also good.

Maybe it will be better :) i really appreciate your help guys!

Thanks, Michal

Blairbob

I like taking wednesday off when I was training MTuThF. It still meant I went to the gym, but I just didn't really do any strength training. So I was still active. Generally I would do the preFSP stuff as shrugs, no holds, tumble a bit, bounce on tramp.

You can probably do the same thing on Saturday or Sunday. It doesn't mean you have to be inactive, just don't train hard. Take a jog, do some parkour, do some HIT, whatever. Work Handstand stuff.

A gymnast who can't L basically won't be much on the apparatus. They might get away with it tumbling and vaulting but they probably won't be worth anything on any apparatus.

Mikyewicz

Thanks Blairbob.

It seems to be a good idea with the Wednesday and the weekend. Maybe I will try. :)