I didn't know where else to put this so I figured it would go here.
Has anyone had experience of doing gymnastics with dyspraxia, or know anyone who does gymnastics that has it?
For people that don't know what it is (which is probably most of you), it's a neurological disorder that affects motor control because messages from the brain aren't correctly transmitted to the rest of the body. It's not curable and AFAIK it can't really be treated, but in my experience it seems to have improved somewhat as I've aged so far (I'm currently 17 years old). I try to ignore it and pretend it's not there, but it does become evident during physical activities.
The relevant effects of it on me are poor balance, poor co-ordination and an inability to plan/remember sequences of activity (so it might take me much longer than other people to learn a given movement, unless it's very simple like push-ups or pull-ups or whatever). Mine doesn't seem to be terrible; it's only evident in things like throwing/catching, and generally things that require good balance or co-ordination. Other than that, you probably wouldn't notice anything different about me.
Does anyone know what I can do to work around it (i.e., should I just pretend it's not there? That's what I normally do), or how much it will affect training? Though it can't be cured, because it is a learning disorder, apparently if I practice enough it might become less evident (source: http://www.dyspraxia.com.au/Default.aspx?Module=HTML&Article=1&Page=article1). I don't plan to let it stop me doing gymnastics, but if anyone who has it or knows someone who has it can give any tips or anything, that'd be great.
Thanks ![]()