kip to support on rings

Started by Ryan Verma, December 29, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,070 Views

Ryan Verma

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn kip to support (or L-sit) on rings. I was unable to find any tutorials online, so I tried the "monkey see, monkey do" approach after watching several videos. They make it look so easy... :(

I'll post a video I took today. I think I may be lacking in the power generation of my kick. My technique may also be off, because after the kick, I try and get my hands on top of the rings to lock my arms, but end up at the bottom of a muscle up.

Any tips, critiques or hint would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dWLBMtJOZVM

Blairbob

Well, your basket position isn't very compressed. But neither is mine and some others.

For now, try going from an inverted hang to basket and kick.

You are also basically trying to do an inverted pullup by bending your arms versus pushing on the rings with straight arms to support.

Try getting a spot or learning a drop kip on a low single rail.

Ryan Verma

I have pretty lousy pike flexibility, so I'll try going from inverted hang to basket and using the bounce to generate extra momentum.

With regards to bending my arms, do you mean that I should be keeping them locked and doing a sort of front pull to support? I looked up the drop kip on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cAR2i2TnU) - should my arms not bend similar to that video?

lG2D8exLfxY

This is the video I was watching to learn, and after reading your response, I can see that although his arms do bend, there is a lot of tricep in there to get to L-sit.

Mats Trane

Hi

Here is what Coach wrote a few years back!

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#p3392

Ryan Verma

Thanks!!