Hello,
For awhile now i'm been casually browsing these boards and trying to gather more knowledge about gymnastics and what I can incorporate into my routine.
Brief info about me, this summer I picked up archery and absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately where I live I don't get to practice archery much during the fall/winter time, so I like to take these indoor seasons to focus on strength training.
One thing I quickly picked up on when I was practicing archery was the amount of static strength needed to keep the bow steady, something that I lack severely. I've done weight training over the years, play airsoft frequently and was part of cross country in high school, but thats about as far as my athletic ability goes. In terms of my build I'm a fairly light individual:
height: 5'8"
weight: 125-130 lbs (high metabolism so it changes within this range often)
After reading Coach Sommer's articles a few times over the last few months, I've tried incorporating the Planche and Front Lever progressions into my routine to improve my static strength, which looked like this:
Front Lever (Static Tuck hold for 60 seconds)
Nordic Curl 3x5
Planche (Frog Stand hold for 60 seconds)
Single Leg Squat 3x5
While I initially felt improvements that came rather quickly, I've gotten stuck in this area of holding the Frog Stand for 50 seconds, and the Tuck Lever for 35 at best, and the only exercise I've made progressions on is the Nordic Curl (I believe this forum calls them GHR?). In fear of overtraining I didn't want to incorporate too many exercises and pushing the muscles to fatigue, but seeing the other beginner routines on here, it seems almost *too* simple. I'm not even sure if my routine is properly targeting all my muscles groups in a balanced way.
I'm definitely getting Building the Gymnastic Body (on my Christmas List), and definitely want to study it as much as possible before jumping into working out again in January, but I figured I'd also jump on these forums to ask questions and discuss things that I might not find in the book.
One thing I've noticed is a lot of people recommend doing the WOD's after reading the book, but should a beginner like me follow the current WOD, or go into the archives and start with the very first one? Cause the more current one's seem to be exercises that I'm not quite sure I could accomplish.
So in short, just wanted to say hi and look forward to learning more.