Training SSC question

Started by Kris CHARTON, December 16, 2011 · 11 Replies · 4,273 Views

Kris CHARTON

Hi members of gymnastic bodies

I'm kris, 25 years old and i like gymnastic :)

I'm not really a beginner, i've been already practiced some skills by the past with varying degrees of success (non regular work)

My old perf:

fl : 15s one leg

pl : around 30s tuck pl

bl : full for a few second but not really strong (and palm up ..)

Then i practiced Convict Conditionning for 4 month

Now since 2 weeks i starting an Steady State Cycle

My static hold max actually

tuck pl : 16s

german hang : 25s (with palm down) !

tuck fl : 26s

straddle L bent : 16s

handstand : freestanding for 40s

lsit : 40s or more

Question:

I tried advanced frog stand but I can not ... then I have tuck pl for 15s (good form). Should I go back to advanced frog stand? (basic frogstand 60s ok)

For going a next progression FBE,how many reps should be doing ? 10? ( dipsPB >> dipsPB russian , Pull up >> chinup L ....)

How to incorporate planche lean in my training ? how often ? should be hold for 60s ?

Is it possible to incorporate hs wall run in my warm up? (So 4 times a week)

Is it possible to incorporate wall walks at the end of my training ? (So 4 times a week)

Thanks for your help :)

Ian Legrow
Question:

I tried advanced frog stand but I can not ... then I have tuck pl for 15s (good form). Should I go back to advanced frog stand? (basic frogstand 60s ok)

For going a next progression FBE,how many reps should be doing ? 10? ( dipsPB >> dipsPB russian , Pull up >> chinup L ....)

How to incorporate planche lean in my training ? how often ? should be hold for 60s ?

Is it possible to incorporate hs wall run in my warm up? (So 4 times a week)

Is it possible to incorporate wall walks at the end of my training ? (So 4 times a week)

Thanks for your help :)

Answer to your first question: There are a lot of people here who skip the frog stand advanced. I did, but decided to go back to it so i could build up my bicep tendon. That has greatly helped (although now i can barely do a tuck planche :(

2) The number of sets and reps you do is entirely dependent on how strong you are. But a good rule of thumb is, your max goal is 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) but even then some people like to do 3x5. 5 reps is the Max you want to do in each set and if you can do 3 to five sets 3 to 5 reps in that exercise, its time for you to progress

3) Planche lean is good to stretch and warm up the bicep tendons for you work out. I use mine in my warm up. Dillon (one of the sit moderators) said its best to do 3x30seconds of these.

4) Handstand wall run incorporated in work out 4 times a week. NO. HS wall run should only bee done on a 10 to 20 minute basis (including rests!) 2 times a week. And only if you have a solid wall Hs (stomach to wall, wrists 1 to 2 inches away nothing but toes touching the wall). Otherwise would not bother

5) Incorporating cast wall walks into your workout is something coach does, but only on specific days. Remeber for the steady state cycle your best best is to do 1 push exercise ( example: push ups) 1 pull, one core, and 1 leg. So cast Wall Walks would be a pushing exercise as they are a Muli-plane Pushing exercise.

Also remeber do not hold your static positions until failure. You want to find your max time, then cut that time in half then do that number opf sets until you hit 60s. Thats confusing so i'll explain: If you max is 33s tuck planche, cut it in half, and that equals 17s. 17 multiplied by 3 is 51 but its the closest to 60 without going over. So you will want to do 3x17s unless you don't mind going over then it will be 4x17s.

I hope this is clear. Sometimes i am not good at explaining myself even though i know what i am saying :)

-Ian

Kris CHARTON

1) return at the advanced frog stand :shock: ..i hate this ! but if necessary ... i will !

3) doing 1X60s or 3X30s is not the same result ? if i doing 3X30s how many rest between the set ( 45-90s as my static maybe ) ?

5) not cast wall walks ! i meant BRIDGE WALL WALKS ! sorry :)

Also remeber do not hold your static positions until failure. You want to find your max time, then cut that time in half then do that number opf sets until you hit 60s. Thats confusing so i'll explain: If you max is 33s tuck planche, cut it in half, and that equals 17s. 17 multiplied by 3 is 51 but its the closest to 60 without going over. So you will want to do 3x17s unless you don't mind going over then it will be 4x17s.

yes I do this, thanks :wink:

Ian Legrow

1x60 and 3x30s i believe will get you close to the same result. However doing 3x30s is 30s longer then 1x60s and with the added volume it will strengthen your tendons quicker.

if youdo not feel you need to return to the frog stand adv, don't. There are people here who skipped it and got along just fine. I only did it for my own well being becasue i know that i would hurt myself if i kept doing it

AS far as i know, bridge Wall Walks, Shoulder Dislocates, and Wall Extensions, do not have a specific Maximum but do have a specific minimum of 2 days a week. I do shoulder dislocates 5 or 6 times at 5 reps in my office almost every day. As long as you don't feel unnecessary pain, as far as i know, you can do them whenever you want.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Hope this helps

-Ian

Blairbob

What's your issue with adv frogstand? Do you lose balance or does it just become uncomfortable because of the knee on the arm? Or is it a matter that your arms just give out?

Plance lean might be incorporated after you mastered the basic PB support. Probably a good idea to be able to do a PB walk and ag walks first. Start off gradually with it, 30s maybe 3x10 and build up to it over time.

How much HS wall runs are you talking about? Light volume, sure or just do some walking HS. This varies per gymnast depending on how long they have been training and what level besides proficiency of their HS. Light volume every day in a warmup is probably fine.

Bridge wall walks? You could do them. Personally, I get sick of them every day so I change it up to do some standing back bends or walkovers. Sometimes nice to do as a warmup. Not when you're congested though.

If you're running a SSC, you could probably program in cast wall walks a few days a week. I can't imagine you'd want to do them more than 2x a week. They are way more annoying than ag walks and I've seen ag walks programmed 3 or 4 days a week.

1x60 is as a maintenance hold, whereas most of the planks and hangs should be built up to 3x30/60. Preferably 60s.

Kris CHARTON
What's your issue with adv frogstand? Do you lose balance or does it just become uncomfortable because of the knee on the arm? Or is it a matter that your arms just give out?

Uncomfortable and lose balance.

I can not find the right position :shock: .I feel it's more balance requirement than strength.

How much HS wall runs are you talking about? Light volume, sure or just do some walking HS. This varies per gymnast depending on how long they have been training and what level besides proficiency of their HS. Light volume every day in a warmup is probably fine.

For the HS wallrun i talking 1min about (light !), i would like included HS wallrun 4 times a week for increase my pressing strenght ( little poor, mainly hespu ).

If i doing 3X30s for Planche lean how many rest between the set ( 45-90s as my static maybe ) ? its ok for that ?

Thanks :D

Blairbob

For PL, sure. I never used much more than 15s of rest for them. It was just an easy warmup drill. I generally did 2x30s on rings besides the 2x30 on FX (one fingers fwd, one fingers bwd on swiss ball).

1m is probably fine. I generally put Wall HS shrugs in the beginning of my WU besides some Wall HS shoulder taps (wall runs) besides free balancing off the wall sometimes before I do laps of walking in HS on the floor. Or I did when I was at Bezerkly.

Kris CHARTON

This is my currently template (inspired by killroy)

Monday :

FSP: German hang 6X10s + Straddle L (bent) 8X8s

FBE Pressing: ppp Fx 3X5

FBE Pulling: Front lever row (tuck) 3X5

FBE Core: German hang pull 3X5 + HLL (half) 3X5

Tuesday :

FSP: FL (tuck) 5X13s + PL (tuck) 8X8s

FBE Pressing: Dips pb 3X5

FBE Pulling: Chin up L 3X5

FBE Core: Bodylever (tuck) 3X5 + Vup (straddle) 3X5

Wednesday off

Thursday :

FSP: German hang 6X10s + Straddle L (bent) 8X8s

FBE Pressing: Hespu box 3X5

FBE Pulling: Inverted chin up 3X5

FBE Core: Tik tock 3X5 + Wwp (half) 3X5

Friday :

FSP: FL (tuck) 5X13s + PL (tuck) 8X8s

FBE Pressing: Chest roll 3X5

FBE Pulling: FL pull (half) 3X5

FBE Core: Bridge push up 3X5 + RLL 3X5

Saturday : (LEGS DAY)

SLS 3X5

GHR (half) 3X5

Calf raise (single leg) 2X15

Sunday off

Warm up :

CIRCLE( neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hips, knee, ankle ) + some work on Pavel (super joints)

Bar hang 1X30s

Hs wall 1X30s

Lsit 1X20s

10 push up Fx

Arch hold 1X30s

Hollow hold 1X30s

+ Planche lean 3X30s

+ Hs wall run 1min

End

Shoulder dislocate 1X10

Wall extension 1X10

Wrist push up 1X10

+ Bridge wall walk

1) What do you think of my template?

2) Is it possible during an SSC, add weight or change exercice (FBE) if he become too easy ? or wait the end of the cycle for that ?

3) I use this tempo (2.1.2) for the most exercise . Is it good ?

4) How to integrate Muscle up work ?

Thanks for your help :D

Blairbob

1. Alright. Note to see if your FSP's are becoming easier in 3-6 weeks since you are only doing 2x/week.

2. An SSC cycle does not change for 8-12 week. Ever, at all. Never. Get it, got it, good. However, Killroy70 did try to linear progress the FSP and FBE in his program originally, I think. Check on that.

3. Good enough. Maybe 3 2 1.

4. On Saturdays.

To note, I really doubt 2x15 calf raises will do much, if anything. Too low of volume unless it's not a priority,.

Kris CHARTON

Thanks for reply Blairbob :D

Note to see if your FSP's are becoming easier in 3-6 weeks since you are only doing 2x/week.

What do you mean? do a max of my FSP before the end of my cycle ?

Ian Legrow

yES. A good rule of thumb is to test your max again in that time frame. I personally check mine every 4th week. so in a 12 week SSC i will have checked my fsp max 3 times

Blairbob

No, I did not infer testing a max every 4 weeks. Just note the difficulty of the workset in apparent exertion.