Just a little background about myself. I'm in my late 30s and after feeling mushy and out of shape, ordered an in home extreme fitness program off an infomercial. For the past 5 months I've completely changed my eating, exercised 6 days a week lost a lot of weight and dropped my body fat% to where I'm now happy. I've become hooked again on fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
Through web surfing, and the recent olympic games I came across body weight training using gymnastic rings which drove me to this web site.
From what I've taken away from some of the reading on this site, it's not all about the look of a gymnist but the functional strength as well, but what really should I expect? I've read about needing patience and that it may take years to do some of the moves performed by olympic gymnasts. I'm being honest when I say for me it's not all about the strength. I would like that to help me perform better but it is also for the upper body visual gains. Does it take longer to see visual and strength gains from bodyweight ring training than traditional weight resistance training? I'm eagerly awaiting the pre-release for Coach Sommer's book and can't wait to do some of this.
Come next summer if somone see's me at the pool, are they more likely to say "that guys looks good" if I spent 45 minutes a few days a week training with weights or practicing gymnast type workouts. Is there's a way to do both ring and weight resistance training, or just stick with one. Again from a strength gains perspective it seems gymnastic activities is worth pursing.
I hope this doesn't come across as shallow. I'm just looking to mix it up a bit and look forward to this challenge. Just wanting to know in what aspects it will be rewarding and set my own expectations.
Thanks.
P.S. I did read the "Gymnastic Work vs Classical Strength Work" and "What is this site for" but I felt my questions are slightly different.