I just moved to San Francisco and I was wondering if anybody knows of any places that has adult classes or open gym for gymnastics?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
San Francisco Gymnastics for adults?
Started by Erich Lin, December 16, 2011 · 30 Replies · 8,665 Views
CrossFitMarin in CorteMadera. UCBerkeley's collegiate club. However, to join the club you have to have a membership at the UC Rec Sports gym which is like $700/year. It's worth it for a year but that's still a lot but you could workout 5d/week for 2.5h/night. Costs like $60/semester additionally.
check USAG's site and see what gyms are around and give them a ring.
Has anyone been to Acro Sports in SF? (http://www.acrosports.org/classes/teen-adult/teen-adult-classes/) It looks like they offer adult classes. I was curious about hearing more about them.
Yeah, acrosports has adult classes and I think a couple hours a week of open gym. Haven't tried the adult classes, but I've had 3 hours of private coaching so far. I would say try them out...
Blairbob said:CrossFitMarin in CorteMadera. UCBerkeley's collegiate club. However, to join the club you have to have a membership at the UC Rec Sports gym which is like $700/year. It's worth it for a year but that's still a lot but you could workout 5d/week for 2.5h/night. Costs like $60/semester additionally.
check USAG's site and see what gyms are around and give them a ring.
Some guys from CrossFitMarin used to teach parkour classes at SF Circus school, they were pretty good...
jordi said:Yeah, acrosports has adult classes and I think a couple hours a week of open gym. Haven't tried the adult classes, but I've had 3 hours of private coaching so far. I would say try them out...
I took several semsters of gymnastics classes at AcroSports, they were really good, not too many people and the coaches were able to exaplin and demonstrate all exercises very well. Highly recommended. They also have several other related classes that might be interesting, e.g. I also took parkour classes there (also very good). Just check out their website, they have schedule with description of classes there...
Any people here working out in SF South Bay Area and San Diego downtown?
Will be spending some time through these places and would love to meet, hang/ workout with some folks from GB Forums.
In downtown San Diego you can look up Aush Cushion who has been a GB seminar attendee in years past and runs Gymnastic classes through CFSD.
Russ Bruel from CFMarin used to coach at AcroSports for awhile. Andres might have as well.
Blairbob said:In downtown San Diego you can look up Aush Cushion who has been a GB seminar attendee in years past and runs Gymnastic classes through CFSD.
Russ Bruel from CFMarin used to coach at AcroSports for awhile. Andres might have as well.
Thanks BlairBob - I am in Sunnyvale for another 2 weeks. If you come down, drop me a line (I am on your FB as well)
Yeah, you are. I am purposely trying to stay away from most of the Bay Area. Too many memories and crap. I was in Emeryville twice last month to go to Max Aita's gym but I will probably be limiting myself to only the North Bay unless I have to. Probably gonna take a trip to Cal Strength or Catalyst Athletics sometime I suppose for "StrengthSessions" project that I'm a part of.
I'm going to check out the Crossfit Marin class tomorrow. Thanks for the tip about the SD Gymnastics: I'll be sure to look him up when I'm there next week.
Hmm.. I figured I'd buy you a smoothie if not coffee
and finally get to thank you in person.
Blairbob said:Yeah, you are. I am purposely trying to stay away from most of the Bay Area. Too many memories and crap. I was in Emeryville twice last month to go to Max Aita's gym but I will probably be limiting myself to only the North Bay unless I have to. Probably gonna take a trip to Cal Strength or Catalyst Athletics sometime I suppose for "StrengthSessions" project that I'm a part of.
Cool, hopefully you got to meet Roger and Russ and maybe Hughes.
I'm sure at some point I will visit South Bay again.
I don't like smoothies, ever. They are weird. I go to Jamba juice and order juice (or just go to TraderJoe's).
Coffee I tolerate when it's really cold or I just need some stims. Been drinking it lately at the CrossFit competitions I've been judging. Because it's free, wet and has caffeine. And I like cream.
I went to the Cave Friday and took the Adult Gymnastics class. It was great: the teacher was very knowledgeable and I picked up a lot of good information. Highly recommend it for anyone in the area.
Yeah, if he was tall(er) it was Roger Harrell. If he was short and bald, it was Russ Bruel. Roger is the owner of DrillsandSkills and ran the first CFGymnastics seminars before Tucker took them over.
Russ is a short little bald monkey who has some crazy movement abilities and is generally well like by most children and everyone.
Both are pretty sharp but our old man's group used to turn into quite a science-y workout given Roger's background (chemical engineer and musician besides programmer) and ours.
Lol! Honestly, I have to agree. Always found them weird as compared to a fresh squeezed juice or juice mix. But I lapped it up back in the day thinking they were healthy.
I am flying Southwest down to San Diego on 18th (may or may not come back up in Jan/ Feb). If you are here before that and can come around S Mary & El Camino in Sunnyvale then lunch/ bite is on me. Or Jamba juice/ TJoes if that is what you fancy.
You, Slizzard and few other folks have been really helpful many a times on forums when I've really needed help. I could do that much.
Lol! I think I mentioned coffee because its an expression. Meet up for a coffee. I usually end up having coconut water or warm herbal teas (this weather).
Blairbob said:I'm sure at some point I will visit South Bay again.
I don't like smoothies, ever. They are weird. I go to Jamba juice and order juice (or just go to TraderJoe's).
Coffee I tolerate when it's really cold or I just need some stims. Been drinking it lately at the CrossFit competitions I've been judging. Because it's free, wet and has caffeine. And I like cream.
Negatory. I'm interviewing for a few positions in North Bay very soon but I think I'm gonna omit checking out San Francisco or South Bay.
I always did want to go to one of the SF meet ups but schedules never worked out last year. I'm not sure the FB group is still around and I think you are on my FB somewhere.
We'll see, I'm contemplating leaving CA for the holidays, perhaps for good but I've got a bad feeling that a 63kg lifter will have something to say about that. She's trying for her part and I think I'm just pissing her off somewhat in her attempts.
I need to go back to SD one of these days to surf and eat tacos and drink coronas afterwards and maybe even visit Aush.
I posted this in the f1 sub forum, I want to start or join a training support group in sf, so that I can have accountability and dialogue about training this way. I'd even like to find people who want to build our own gymnastics equipment. Anyone down? Let's brainstorm!
See my location above. We can meet up this weekend for starters. Drop me a line with your contact info.
dsohei said:I posted this in the f1 sub forum, I want to start or join a training support group in sf, so that I can have accountability and dialogue about training this way. I'd even like to find people who want to build our own gymnastics equipment. Anyone down? Let's brainstorm!
I am in SD now. Downtown. How do I get a hold of AC or connect with him? Active user on GB forums?
Would love to meet up with another GB practitioner or find a workout buddy.
Blairbob said:In downtown San Diego you can look up Aush Cushion who has been a GB seminar attendee in years past and runs Gymnastic classes through CFSD.
Russ Bruel from CFMarin used to coach at AcroSports for awhile. Andres might have as well.
Call up CrossFitSanDiego or email him. He's on FB as well.
Acrosports is good. San Francisco Circus Center is very good. There are meetups at the marina greens organized by bay area street workout, and there are some very good practitioners of levers, planches, etc. Search instagram for bayarea_streetworkout. He does stuff in SouthBay, too.
I am back in the Bay at Foster City. If anyone wants to workout together / hang etc let me know.
Any F1/H1 practitioners/ beginners/ intermediates in the Bay Area who'd like to hang/ meet/ workout/ share experiences?