Need Help

Started by pdiffley, December 15, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,166 Views

pdiffley

Hi,

I recently joined the site and am trying to figure out how to structure my workouts; however, I am unclear on several issues. Right now I am planning on starting with a joint warmup, then doing a set of FSPs based on a steady state cycle, then the WOD.

The FSP set I plan to do every workout day is the following scaled with the book to the current level I can do:

L-Sit

Planche

Back Lever

Handstand

Front Lever

I'll hold each position for half of my max hold time, and do however many reps it takes to add up to 60 seconds on each.

Is this too much FSP? Should I split it up so that I do one exercise a day? Do I need to do this FSP set at all or does the WOD cover that?

My next problem is getting started with the WOD. I am having a lot of trouble scaling the exercises and sometimes just figuring out what I am supposed to do at all. Take one of the more recent WODs:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Coach Linked a video to Wrist pushups so I know how to do those.

He put a video of Cast Wall Walks up so I know how to do them, but since they are not in the book, I do not know how to scale. Do I need to worry about scaling on that type of thing?

I saw Box HeSPUs in the Upper Body Pressing part of the book but I do not think that Pike Box Press HS, Straddle Box press HS, or Walking HSPU ladders are referring to.The link on these leads to a topic discussing some tips on doing them, but I am not sure what they are to begin with.

I feel as though I am doing something wrong in interpreting the workout. I have been at this for a couple weeks, have not gotten anywhere and am feeling a bit exasperated. I am eager to start doing these workouts, but I have been spending more time trying to figure out what I am supposed to do than I would normally spend actually exercising. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could show me what I am doing wrong or even better what I need to do right! :)

Blairbob
Is this too much FSP?
No.
Should I split it up so that I do one exercise a day?
No.
Do I need to do this FSP set at all or does the WOD cover that?
Yes and No. Not as frequently, but it does cover it. You can also run a SteadyStateCycle in addition to the daily WOD programming. For WODs that go over the FSP work, you can omit the SSC that day or do it (or do a scaled back version).

I posted a video on box press HS and panel mat press HS. Its on my youtube. They were done in straddle. For pike box press HS, just do them from a pike.

Hmm scaling Cast Wall Walks. Bigger steps on the wall, possibly. Maybe just ag walks and HS Wall runs.

Walking HSPU ladders involve pairing walking HS steps and a HSPU progression. For those who cannot walk in HS, do HS Wall run.

Adam Bodestyne

Hi, welcome to the site. (c:

Your plan seems fairly decent.

For the FSPs, I typically will skip an FSP if it's being challenged a lot during the WOD. e.g. lots of front lever work in the WOD? I probably won't do it in my warmup. Or I'll do a more scaled-down version in my warmup. But as long as you're picking appropriate scaling for the FSPs, it works pretty well before the WOD.

pdiffley said:
He put a video of Cast Wall Walks up so I know how to do them, but since they are not in the book, I do not know how to scale. Do I need to worry about scaling on that type of thing?

I saw Box HeSPUs in the Upper Body Pressing part of the book but I do not think that Pike Box Press HS, Straddle Box press HS, or Walking HSPU ladders are referring to.The link on these leads to a topic discussing some tips on doing them, but I am not sure what they are to begin with.

I'm not sure how to scale down Cast Wall Walks if you cannot do them at all, but if it's getting out all 10 that you're having difficulty with, then feel free to split it up. e.g. instead of doing 10 all in one go, you might do 5x2. or even 10x1. I usually break up the 10 cast wall walks into 4, 3, 2, 1.

For Pike Box Press HS, is it that you don't understand those specifically, or you need to learn what Press HS is?

I've attempted to describe Walking HSPU ladders here. I hope that's clear. You'll also need to know what HS Wall Runs are too, if you haven't encountered them, yet.

pdiffley said:
I feel as though I am doing something wrong in interpreting the workout. I have been at this for a couple weeks, have not gotten anywhere and am feeling a bit exasperated. I am eager to start doing these workouts, but I have been spending more time trying to figure out what I am supposed to do than I would normally spend actually exercising. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could show me what I am doing wrong or even better what I need to do right! :)

Oh, it can seem quite overwhelming at first (c: But it's okay. The WODs are a repeating cycle, and soon the exercises will be more familiar to you, and you'll become more accustomed to determining the correct scaling. Doing the WODs a day or week behind might also help, since you can look at how other people have scaled, after they've posted.

pdiffley

Thanks for the help. Another thing I was considering, because my free time is going to be unpredictable in a couple months, was just doing a steady state cycle with the exercises in the book. So each workout day I would do the warmup and FSP previously mentioned followed by either the upper body pressing, upper body pulling, core, or leg exercises depending on the day. Would there be any loss or benefit to this over WOD or vice versa?