Hey guys, Ive been luring around here for a few months now and have really learned a lot. I come from a weightlifting background like those laid out by Rippetoe and Wendler but have been learning the benefits of gymnastics training. My real question is whether or not gymnastics training and weightlifting should or could be combined for optimal strength and minor mass gains. I've read the boards (and several books) and heard opinions from both camps saying their approach works better. Most of the time I find that the conclusion is combining them usually causes both styles of training to suffer and provides sub-optimal results. The exception being if you split the upper body and lower body using gymnastics for the latter and weights for the former. I'm curious as to what conclusions y'all might have made both from theory and experience.
Currently I am trying to combine the Wendler 5/3/1 program and variations of the WOD on this site.
My history in training looks like this:
Starting Strength ~7 months
Greyskull LP + some bodyweight ~ 3 months
Killroy Template ~ 4 months
Wendler + WOD ~ 2.5 months
My numbers are as follows:
BodyWeight : 155 pounds
Bench: 195
Squat: 290
OHP: 145
Deadlift: 300
I can do about 8 muscle ups in a row on the rings
My current positions for statics:
Adv. Tuck Back lever ~ 25s
Adv Tuch Planche ~ 15s
Tuck Front Lever 30s
Any help or comments on my program design are appreciated.