This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 111209

Started by Coach Sommer, December 9, 2011 · 10 Replies · 2,219 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Mark Wyly

This one looks like a great way to finish my week. Looking forward to it!

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU(Felt really good today)

WOD:

1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

2 CWW, *messed with Plank walks for distance *

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

HSPU Ladders:3 Rounds, 6 wall runs between each, 5min rest between 1/2 rounds

-5 Pike Pushups 2nd step

-3 Pike Pushups(49in from wall)

-2 Full ROM dips

1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Notes:

-wall runs felt really good(probably from not killing myself doing too many CWW), still almost failing at the last rep of dips when it's at the end of a 1st half round. No problem when it's starting the 2nd half.

*(9ft/16 steps) x 4 for Plank walks(reverse Ag walks). Need to work out specifics for the plank walks...i.e. 1 CWW = how many steps/distance for plank walk? Once that's worked out I also need to see how many regular CWW to do before switching up, but that isn't a big deal. Also making a little dolly so I can pile stuff on it to raise my feet up making it harder if/when it needs to be.

Vincent Stoyas

Are the 6 HS runs considered both hands or one? As in, do I have to lift both hands to count that as one rep? Or is the first hand 1 rep and the second hand 2 reps? I did my runs counting both hands before I finished one rep.

Dynamic warm up

Pre req FSP Warm Up

Slight static stretching

WOD

2x5 CWW and 1x20 PB Support Swings

2x5 Pike Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Press HeS, I simply forgot to the second set =/

HSPU Ladder 1 Round

Box Press HS

HeSPU negative

HeSPU

HeSPU elevated 2 inches or so

HSPU negative

Finished with 25 HS Wall Runs. I only stopped because I fell out of the HS =/

and also 1x10 Wrist Push ups

Today felt extremely good. I've done this workout twice before and today felt extremely solid. The extra HS work that I do almost everyday is totally paying off. Last workout when I finished the 1st round I was famished, today, I felt like I should've gone at least another time, maybe even two without much trouble. Still trying not to overwork myself though, taking it slow.

Excellent day though!

Josh Schmitter
Vincearoo said:
Are the 6 HS runs considered both hands or one? As in, do I have to lift both hands to count that as one rep? Or is the first hand 1 rep and the second hand 2 reps? I did my runs counting both hands before I finished one rep.

I'm almost certain you count each hand.

Vincearoo said:

Today felt extremely good. I've done this workout twice before and today felt extremely solid. The extra HS work that I do almost everyday is totally paying off. Last workout when I finished the 1st round I was famished, today, I felt like I should've gone at least another time, maybe even two without much trouble. Still trying not to overwork myself though, taking it slow.

Excellent day though!

Slow is definitely the way to go. That's funny about the extra HS work too. I used to do about 5x4 kick ups almost every WO day and since I stopped, my HS WOD's have been feeling much better. Obviously I was just doing too much, but it is still gloriously frustrating how you can't put an exact formula down for everyone to follow.

Vincent Stoyas

How did your 5x4 kick ups work? Alternating legs each time? That does seem like a fair bit of volume.

I've been doing my hands with three times as much rest as I held it for. The if I held it for 45 seconds then I'd rest for 1:30. I do this for somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Just something light, I'll add more time next month.

Josh Schmitter
Vincearoo said:
How did your 5x4 kick ups work? Alternating legs each time? That does seem like a fair bit of volume.

I've been doing my hands with three times as much rest as I held it for. The if I held it for 45 seconds then I'd rest for 1:30. I do this for somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Just something light, I'll add more time next month.

My work capacity is crap. I believe I started doing far too much too soon when I started up on here and then, very inefficiently, had to slowly scale back as I was getting poor results...as opposed to starting slow/light and working up...which is not how I work for better or worse...obviously worse in this case. 1:3 work/rest is a good way to go. Ido posted somewhere about starting as low as 1:4 and working up to 1:1 or less. Aha, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1994

My kick ups were only a kick up, so I did not hold the HS longer than it took to know I had control/balance. But I got a little obsessive over them, keeping track of every one for a while, and getting frustrated when I wasn't sticking them regularly. One day I would stick almost all of them, another I would miss more than half. I believe I was overworking on the WOD's at that point, as well as my FSP WU, which would account for my erratic results. I also only counted good reps, so if I missed 5 times doing one set of 4 kick ups, I would end up doing 9 kick ups...which just added to the overworking problem. There it is, in a very coconut shell.

Vincent Stoyas
Bdk1786 said:
Something I always think about as coach has said many times before: you should stop the exercise as soon as you can't do a single rep correctly. Either stop or scale down the exercise so you can complete the rx'd reps. Something people will overlook is their form in HS. Not only correct posture, but also pressing while doing the HS, and not just balancing. I always strive for complete coverage of my arms to my ears.

This is very true, I realized in my last set of Wall Runs that I was not pressing like I should be. I was only pressing about half as hard as I need to... I really need to make a conscious effort towards that.

Josh Schmitter
Bdk1786 said:
I also only counted good reps, so if I missed 5 times doing one set of 4 kick ups, I would end up doing 9 kick ups...which just added to the overworking problem. There it is, in a very coconut shell.

Something I always think about as coach has said many times before: you should stop the exercise as soon as you can't do a single rep correctly. Either stop or scale down the exercise so you can complete the rx'd reps. Something people will overlook is their form in HS. Not only correct posture, but also pressing while doing the HS, and not just balancing. I always strive for complete coverage of my arms to my ears.

Yes, this was definitely part of it. The frustration was just adding up some days as I knew I could hit 5x4 kick ups with good form since I had done it before. I was taking the inconsistency out on the supposed fact that I had very poor body awareness, when it was more being in an overworked state on said days. Thanks for putting that out there, always good to have coach's advice in the ready.

Phil O'malley

Gen WU

FSP

4*15s fx l-sit

4*15s adv tuck FL

4*15s adv tuck BL

WOD

1x10 Wrist Pushups

3x5 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HeS head rased 35cm

2x10 Straddle Box Press HeS head raised 45cm

Walking HSPU Ladders

6ww 2 box hspu 6ww 2 Hespu neg 6ww 2 hespu *2 *4

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP Pre-req WU (3 rounds)

Shoulder routine

Did:

1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

13 CWW (3+2+2+2+2+2)

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

HSPU Ladders:3 Rounds, 6 wall runs between each

3 Box HSPU

2 Wall HeSPU / partials (stomach to wall)

3 Shoulder presses (40kg)

1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees