This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall Handstand Endurance

Started by Andrew Browne, April 28, 2009 · 13 Replies · 6,321 Views

Andrew Browne

I'm stuck at 1 minute on the wall handstand. I want to increase it enough that I can do handstand wall runs (without putting my hands too far away from the wall). When I do sets of half my record hold, I get exhausted if I try to do more than 3 sets (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off) - but I don't think 3 sets is enough. What has worked for you all in increasing your handstand endurance?

griffdrc

i'm curious the best way to increase endurance as well... i'm stuck at 1 minute freestanding

Blairbob

I'd go with longer rest periods. Try 1m rest periods. 30-30 is almost metconnish. 30-45 can be doable.

Ido Portal

Blairbob is in the right direction.

When starting out, it is ok to go as high as 1:4 work to rest ratio, later on, something as little as 1:1.5 or even 1:1 or less is possible, while keeping quality high, of course.

It is a good advice to aquire enough volume before you improve density of training. I will post something about this kind of periodization soon on the training forum.

gymrob

Astronominoff,

I also have difficulty with the extended periods of time in wall handstands. Let us know how you get on with new methods you try. :)

Ido,

I really look forward to your periodization approach you are writing up. I am currently doing a steady state cycle and will continue (it is working great) but the only problem I feel I personally have regarding my performance is not being able to handle large volumes. I feel I respond well to high intensity but struggle with high volume.

Blairbob

thanks, Ido. I will think about this when training the gymnasts. A lot of this was trial and error before Coach S started posting the 30-45.

Chris H Laing
Blairbob said:
thanks, Ido. I will think about this when training the gymnasts. A lot of this was trial and error before Coach S started posting the 30-45.

The 30-45 actually came from a post ido made in response to a question i asked about handstands, not to steal coaches thunder, but i think its good to give credit where credit is due.

Blairbob

I do remember seeing the 30-45 from Ido now, but I was remembering it during a ring HS GB WOD.

Kiwarrior

i can hold a freestanding one for over 3 minutes, but i guess holding it for a longer time doesn't do much good.

i'm just stuck with the normal handstand, some pushups and etc, but i can't really do (know) variations :(

palmcron

Some ideas:

straddle

scissor

tuck

pike

and of course transitions from each variation the the other.

Kiwarrior

yeah, i know some of them: i found the straddle much easier, but the the tuck much harder than the normal

does the pike mean that your legs are parallel to the ground?

palmcron

I don't know if it's the official term for it, but I meant legs parallel to the ground, yes.

Blairbob

Piked HS is tough just like Tuck because of how the weight is displaced. Straddle and split are different in those respects.

A 3m free HS is good stuff. Gains will be slow by that point of your training. Possibly start working towards a one arm HS.

Well, pushups, presses, walking through obstacles or balancing on beams or weird places.

Kiwarrior

thx, guess i gotta boost up my handstands :D