Form Check: Planche leans & stomach to wall HS

Started by dcs24, December 7, 2011 · 8 Replies · 2,198 Views

dcs24

For planche leans my back is all sorts of arched. I was trying hard to go for the most hollow position I could but it seems I sacrificed other elements. On my handstand... should I get any closer to the wall?

zTziRKzZR70

Nic Branson

Not going to comment on the planche leans, I simply don't have the base knowledge for it. For the face the wall hand stand I would say start working with pointing your toes and moving closer focusing on good alignment with open shoulders. Wearing socks helps them slide on the wall easier.

Ian Legrow

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&p=57620&hilit=planche+leans+dillon#p57620

This will show you pictures and give you decriptions of how to do a planche lean correctly. They are a lot of fun, just don't over extend...bad news. With the wall handstand a good rule of thumb is this, you want to get as close to the wall as you can. for me that meas my wrists are two inches away from the wall. Then, you want to flatted you feet so the tops of your toes are the only thing touching the wall. There should be nothing else (thighs stomach chest anything) touching the wall. If you can only do that at 4-6 inches from the wall that's fine, it take times. You look to have a basic understanding of the planche lean, and your handstand is looking pretty good. But a good rule of thumb is do not start practicing kicking off the wall until you can hold the handstand i just described for about 2 minutes. Or so i have heard, someone correct me if i am wrong please.

I hope this helps. :)

-Ian

dcs24
IJL said:
http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&p=57620&hilit=planche+leans+dillon#p57620

This will show you pictures and give you decriptions of how to do a planche lean correctly. They are a lot of fun, just don't over extend...bad news. With the wall handstand a good rule of thumb is this, you want to get as close to the wall as you can. for me that meas my wrists are two inches away from the wall. Then, you want to flatted you feet so the tops of your toes are the only thing touching the wall. There should be nothing else (thighs stomach chest anything) touching the wall. If you can only do that at 4-6 inches from the wall that's fine, it take times. You look to have a basic understanding of the planche lean, and your handstand is looking pretty good. But a good rule of thumb is do not start practicing kicking off the wall until you can hold the handstand i just described for about 2 minutes. Or so i have heard, someone correct me if i am wrong please.

I hope this helps. :)

-Ian

That's actually the thread that I looked at before I started doing the leans. Can you describe the difference between those photos and my position? I feel like my back is too arched, but I can't be certain.

As for the handstand, thanks! I'll go back to both feet on the wall until I can hold for a solid 2 minutes!

Cole Dano

Your back is not too arched. IN the second set your scapula aren't fully protracted, you can see them poking up out of your shirt.

In the stomach to wall hs, the above advice is solid, don't try to balance. Rather think of it as a way to get your traps to activate and your core and buttocks as well. I like to describe the feeling as being like a stick wedged into a corner.

You can also try to balance for fun, but don't neglect the simple power of the STWHS, it should feel more difficult than the balancing work you are doing.

Ian Legrow

ONe thing that really helped me a lot with the planche leans was, leave you lower body (everything the waist and below) and abs, tight, and when you lean as far forward as you are able, to and imagine touching your shoulders together under your chin, while leaving your hands planted on the floor and moving nothing but your shoulders. Your form was pretty good in the beginning but i think you begun over thinking and that might be why you falters. it happens to me with my HS all the time.

Let me know if this helps

-Ian

Finn Frank

Okay I'm confused about the advice for Stomach to wall HS. Here it is being said to not touch the wall at all except for with your toes.

IJL said:
There should be nothing else (thighs stomach chest anything) touching the wall.

However in this thread here

Coach Sommer said:
you will find pressing the upper chest (not the rib cage or stomach!) and quads into the wall to be enormously helpful.

This is how I've been working my wall handstands, as close to the wall as possible pressing my quads and upper chest into the wall to the best of my ability.

I don't mean to pick any particular person out on their advice I'm just trying to get things straight :)

Cole Dano

What you are thinking is correct, and with the hands near the wall the upper chest can touch. For the OP, she's not there yet, but as one gets hollowed it will feel like the upper chest it pressing towards the wall, but due to the distance of her hands from the wall there will be little contact.

Ian Legrow

I am by no means an pro at this, If i confused anyone that was not my intention and i am sorry. WHen i discovered how much i liked doing HS work i read the ENTIRE handstand Work secontion. Every single thread. The same question was asked a lot "What should my form be on wall HS". The same person usually kept answering and they would say "as close to the wll as you can nothing but toes touching. I think he was saying to do those types of HS because he was able to do them. They are good to do if you can already come 1" or 2" away from the wall. Becasue of the hollow position your chest may touch the wall, but I don't believe it should be resting against the wall. I believe when Coach said what he said he was saying it to give people and option if they could not yet do the wall HS that i described. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Hope this helps!

-Ian