Parallel bars

Started by scottmo, December 3, 2011 · 18 Replies · 5,726 Views

scottmo

Has anyone heard of AMF Reflex 2 parallel bars?. Are they good quality? I cant seem to find any information pertaining to the company on GOOGLE. They look very similar to AAI CLASSIS parallel bars. Thanks

Coach Sommer

AMF equipment has not been available for quite some time. :shock:

What is your intended usage; fitness or competitive? If fitness only, you will be very pleased with them as long as they are in reasonable shape.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

scottmo

Coach, thank you for the reply. Ill be using them for fittness. Recently these parallel bars were listed on Craigslist in my area. When I went to evaluate them I was stunned. They appear to be of high quality and are in excellent condition. The person selling them had them in the family for quite some time handed down from gymnasts in their family. I purchased them for 150.00. They had painted them completely green. I spent the day today stripping the green paint from perfect stainless steel posts. I am very excited to be able to use them in my training.

Coach Sommer

You got an excellent deal. Enjoy the parallel bars.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

scottmo

Thanks Coach, Any idea how old they are?

Coach Sommer

20 years old at a minimum would be my guess.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane

150 $ for real P-bars! Wow congratualtions

scottmo

Coach, is there a beginner Parallel Bar Strength Series, similar to the Ring Strength Series?

Coach Sommer

There is not, but that is a good idea and something that I will have to give some thought to.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

scottmo

Thank you Coach, I look foward to your input.

img

Scottmo, buy a lottery ticket, will you... 150 for real parallel bars, you lucky person!!! Enjoy! :-)

Alvaro

I hate you!!! :shock: :x :wink:

scottmo

Thanks guys, it actually feels like I kinda won the lottery finding the P-bars. If i could figure out how to upload a pic I would show them to you. Today I started doing Russian Dips and basic swings -was great, cant wait to learn more.

Blairbob

An old set we used to do was:

On parallettes, L/V/Manna hold for 3, press handstand, 3 handstand push ups, lower to straddle L, press handstand, 3 handstand push ups, lower to L/V/Manna hold for 10.

from http://drillsandskills.com/skills/cond

We did it with spotters but some of our group could do it unassisted. We would scale it to some degree and I always needed a spot for the presses and a balance spot for the HSPU. The L portion at the end was brutal.

scottmo

Blairbob, Thats an impressive compilation of skills to do in succession, you must be very strong. What is the L/V Manna hold? I know what the manna is, just dont know the L/V part.

Blairbob

Not anymore, I was typically one of the weakest of our group but I had some things I was ok at. It wasn't PB series though I enjoyed our basic ring series. Roger Harrell generally could do it himself depending on the day.

L/V/Manna means you just insert one of those skills to use.

At my best I could not finish that series since I have never been able to press out of L to HS from parallettes on floor and straddle-L is my bane. Once upon a time I could L press HS on PB by muscling my press since my pike compression was poor but I could lean into my shoulders.

Bruno Cochofel
scottmo said:
Blairbob, Thats an impressive compilation of skills to do in succession, you must be very strong. What is the L/V Manna hold? I know what the manna is, just dont know the L/V part.

I believe L/V/Manna is going from an L to a L lift and then Manna. The V is that intermediate part from going L to a Manna..

Edit: Well, I was wrong.. :?

scottmo

Thanks for your reply pertaining to the L/V manna, Blairbob, I also have difficulty compressing my legs high enough during the straddle L, have you found any thing that is good for this development?

Blairbob

Lots of straddle-L, compression exercises, passive flexibility.