Some beginner questions

Started by ImpartialObserver, December 3, 2011 · 1 Replies · 1,736 Views

ImpartialObserver

Hi there.

I've been weight training for about a year now, focusing mostly on barbells (squat, dead lift, benchpress), with decent gains in strength and mass.

I'm considering incorporating body weight training into my schedule, in the hopes of gaining some much needed flexibility, balance, coordination, core strength etc.

I was thinking maybe 2 gymnastic sessions per week as a start.

I've read the BtGB book and looked through the stickies so I'm starting to get a grasp on the progressions and which moves to begin with.

What I'm not really understanding is specifically how a gymnastic workout session would look.

How many different excercises per session?

Do i blast through all my excercises every session, or do I divide them up over different sessions?

How long should a gymnastic session last? 60-90 minuites like my gym sessions?

How do sets and reps work when its a static hold excercise?

Feel free to give some examples of what your average session looks like.

Larry Roseman

There are stickies in getting started that will probably answer most of your questions.

I've been doing 2 days a week for a while (sometimes only 1 :().

It's not optimal for progress but it's all that I can afford.

I usually do:

1) Warmup and stretch

2a) Static positions (dead hang, front/back plank, hollow,arch, l-sit) 60 sec (in segments if can't do full time)

Some people do these as warmups

2b) Headstand/handstatnd work (sometimes)

3) Usually I work my way down, with rings in the highest position

+Pull ups (reg or l-pull)

+Dips (regular or bulgarian)

+Back Rows -sometimes

+Tick tocks

+Front and back lever practice -easy progressions- sometimes - OR

MU pactice -easy progression - sometimes

+Variation on ring strength series without the MU

+XR pushups and/or "Iron cross" pushups

Usually 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps depending how much time I have and how I feel.

It's usually around 90 minutes. Don't blast through for sure.

A min or so break between sets and few mins recovery between exercises.

I find it challenging and enjoyable, really feel it and have made progress in strength and appearance.