Hello to all!! starting my journey in Strength!

Started by charlieborro, December 1, 2011 · 8 Replies · 2,840 Views

charlieborro

Hi to everyone!

I've found Coach Sommer cool website about 2 weeks ago even if I had Btgb since ast summer. What to say? It's really intriguing and I'd like to join the journey to strength...

Actually I'm a 25ys student who has been interested in combat sports for a while: I've practiced Muay Thai and now i'm practicing Boxing three times per week. When I first read Btgb I have to confess it confused me a little :? as it was kind of "different". High technical exercises, rings.."different" but interesting.

As I'd like to improve my strength, I decided to try Coach's training. My near goals will be, in 8 weeks:

Improve balance in handstand and SLS (actually I can't wall handstand, and I'm having some trouble with HEadstand... :( )

Improve my L-sit before working PL variations (my max is 30sec)

I've seen that many users have written down their routine so will I... feel free to criticize! (At least I'll know that I didn't understand anything :wink: )

Actually I'm training for boxing 3 times per week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I'd do this strength training on Monday (before boxing), Tuesday and Saturday (with warmup and stretching).

FSP: L-sit/Frog stand (I think it could be useful for my handstand work too, not just for PL)/Handstand work. All FSP every stregth workout. I've not included BL and FL because I'm actually planning to move away soon and I don't own rings or a spacious bar.

FBE: day 1 ---- > 1 pushing variation 3 x 5 + 1 horizontal pulling variation 3 x 5 + 1 HLL variation 3 x 5 .

day 2 -----> 1 dip variation 3 x 5 + 1 1 pull up variation 3 x 5 + 1 leg variation 3 X 5

day 3 -----> 1HeSPU variation 3 x 5 + 1 RLL variation 3 X 5 + 1 obliques variation 3 X 5.

So that would be my Btgb training for the first cycle, then I'd check the results :mrgreen:

My questions would be....

1) The workout is much more like the ones I've found from other users, Killroy70 firstly but also Itisme et c... combined with what is written in the book. But are just 2 FBE 3 X 5 enough for workout? :oops: I've tried before different routines , for example the sample program "Infinite Intensity" from Ross (which I've found really good) and his strength trainign had more Volume... My doubt is: if I have I do 3 x 5 leg variation in a week, do I benefit or should I increase the volume?^^

2) As stated before, I actually don't own rings..Do you have any ideas on how to progress with pushups? I've though about assisted one arm push ups (because I can't do straight body OAP), but I welkome any suggestions.

3) In your opinion, is this kind of training beneficial for the sport I like (boxing)? My doubt is that too much pure strength emphasis would decrease explosive strength which would be much more important in contact sport. :?:

Well, anyway, I'm really enthusiast about the idea of trying something new to me and happy to greet you all. Thnaks in advvance for your suggestions!

Charles

Adam Bodestyne

Hi! Welcome to the site.

3) I believe that BTGB training will be beneficial for strength gain; to maintain your speed and explosiveness, however, you will just need to make sure you are continuing to use your speed and explosiveness. I'm not sure whether your boxing will suffice, or whether you should add specific training for speed, though.

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, Charlie. Welcome to the forum! 8)

I believe that the Gymnastic Bodies WODs (or something similar) is practically perfect for your boxing (martial arts) training. Adding some form of squats (front squats with a big bag of sand are fantastic) and deadlifts (single leg stiff legged deadlift OR split step deadlift with one foot lightly on the ground for balance) once a week each. You need to do your separate martial art specific drills (that includes endurance drills, although the WODs do have a good amount of endurance work already) outside the WODs as well as your sport-specific active flexibility drills, PNF/Isometric, and (Power Splits).

I practice martial arts, and although I am currently working on developing some FSP times before I get into the WODs (can't wait to get into them), I follow a very similar style and am the most physically capable person at my martial arts club despite being one of the least experienced. There is only one person who is as physically capable as me and that person is a gymnast. :)

Slizzardman, one of our most knowledgeable members, used to practice (I think still practices) some form of Muay Thai and other forms of combat sports very effectively.

charlieborro

Thanks a lot for you greetings! ...and for the tips too! :mrgreen:

Well, for the time coming I'll try this first SCC. As for endurance and anaerobics I'll do them after boxing workouts (which is quite demanding for me :shock: ) I'm aware that trying to train endurance and strength will condemn a slower improvement, but I'd need my gas as well if I don't want to be on the floor during sparring lol! :mrgreen:

just a curiosity: I've read many users suggesting WODs (workout of the day, right?). How to manage them and SCC? I don't understand if I have to choose 1-4 WODs and repeat them for the 8-12 weeks cycle, or choose a different WOD each training session... :?

anyway thanks again! :wink:

p.s. What kind of martial art do you practice Patrick? (Just curious!)

Vincent Stoyas
charlieborro said:
just a curiosity: I've read many users suggesting WODs (workout of the day, right?). How to manage them and SCC? I don't understand if I have to choose 1-4 WODs and repeat them for the 8-12 weeks cycle, or choose a different WOD each training session...

anyway thanks again!

Indeed, workout of the day. SSCs and WODs are different and are not combined; you simply pick one and stick with it. WODs are posted M/T and Th/F. You don't have to do all 4, many people get by simply with 3, but that's up to you. They vary each day, but they are on a loop. They're the workouts that Coach uses for his own athletes, so it's often better to follow those instead of your own SSC.

It seems like you have the basics of the SSC down, so that's good.

charlieborro
Vincearoo said:
It seems like you have the basics of the SSC down, so that's good.

Thanks Vincearoo! At laeast something I've understood lol. Anyway I've read some of the WODs and they really seem quite challenging (even scaled). They'll be my next step after a pair of SCC to build some foundation! :mrgreen:

p.s. I've finally found that floor PPP area good horizontal pushing exercise! I'll prefer them to the OAP :P

Kris CHARTON
p.s. I've finally found that floor PPP area good horizontal pushing exercise! I'll prefer them to the OAP :P

hi charlie,

yes PPP fx is a good pushing exercice. When it is too easy for you , try to elevate your feet or maybe begin a tuck planche push up :wink:

charlieborro
Kris said:
p.s. I've finally found that floor PPP area good horizontal pushing exercise! I'll prefer them to the OAP :P

hi charlie,

yes PPP fx is a good pushing exercice. When it is too easy for you , try to elevate your feet or maybe begin a tuck planche push up :wink:

Thanks Kris! Actually i find the very good, I'll follow your advice and try to elevate my feet progressively (maybe from a swiss ball...)! :mrgreen: =)

Blairbob

Hmm, interesting program but just do the killroy70 program. One push, pull, leg, core exercise per day alternating the plane/family of the exercise. For you, this is just a supplemental (assistance) strength training program to go along with your boxing training. I'd guess your boxing training has it's own conditioning involved and that you're probably doing some running in there as well. It should all work out together just fine.

Get a doorway pullup bar or find something to hang on (tree, soccer goal, baseball dugout fencing where the walkway in the fence is cut out so you can hang from the pipe the fencing connects to).

If you do get a doorway pullup bar and you can make a set of ghetto rings for like 10 bucks. A slat of pvc that fits your palm and some rope. Or get fancier with some cargo straps and that will be 15 bucks. Sure a nice set of commercial rings is nice since the ring is nice and the straps can be adjusted quickly but a cheap homemade set suffices for most stuff at home except MU and rolls from support.

DL might be a good idea as is FS or BS. So is the one leg stiff leg DL but bare in mind that the single leg deadlift stuff is just an assistance exercise to the regular DL. It does focus on the glutes and hams more and it's quite handy if you only have a set of DB or KB to work out with vs a barbell and a bunch of plates.

One arm pushup is not a bad idea if you don't really have access to anything you can dip on (though you can do HeSPU). Chairs or sawhorses can be dipped on but only if you real sturdy chairs. Might not really be an option if you're a big guy, though.

For Wall HS, try starting out with a Wall HS that is diagonal or do a pushup position with your feet on a chair and then try to pike your hips so you are doing what is called a box HS so your torso is vertical.

Do you condition in your boxing training?

I would not be too concerned that all of a sudden you are going to get too slow doing some strength training. Old BS. Just split your workouts so your neither training is missing out.

Back in the 90s, I would often come home after 3h or so of training, eat dinner, do homework and then do more strength training in my room (which was mostly BW but I did snag some of my dad's plates to use on a stick like a barbell).