This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 111201

Started by Coach Sommer, December 1, 2011 · 18 Replies · 3,806 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Complete four rounds:

2 Cast Wall Walks

5 HSPU

2 Cast Wall Walks

10 HeSPU

2 Cast Wall Walks

20 Swinging Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Note that for today’s GB WOD, perform 2 Cast Wall Walks in between each of the assigned FBEs.

2) If 2 Cast Wall Walks are too easy, you may increase the number of repetitions up to 4 or you may also substitute the most challenging STRAIGHT-ARM Press HS variation that you are capable of performing for 2 repetitions.

3) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

4) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement

Rian

Is there any good substitute excercise for the swinging dips?

Alvaro

4X

2 cast walks

5 HeSPU

2 cast walks

10 dumbell press with 10 kg each arm

2 cast walks

20 dips on machine (yes I know but I didn't have anything else..) trying to be fast on the push and slower on the negative.

Josh Schmitter
Bdk1786 said:
Rian said:
Is there any good substitute excercise for the swinging dips?

I have seen people scale them down to just a swing to a dip and not going to 45 degrees planche position. Or try them with a tucked position.

I just swing in a support position with no dip for X amount of time or reps(back and forth)

Rian

thx for the answers ;)

Rian
Stubadubb said:

If you're not doing wrist prehab/strengthening, DO IT! I hurt my wrist by doing too much HS stuff before I was ready and I attribute my healing to resting and the wrist series.

Totally agree. I started 2 weeks ago to do the WOD`s and the pressure on the wrist is way higher than I was used to. 5 min of daily wristprehab help a lot ;)

Josh Schmitter

I imagine I will have to wait until I get to a seminar(hopefully this coming year) to find out, but I will continue to ask at every opportunity regardless: Is it better to us the 'Pushups before Dips before H(e)SPu' model here, or to work on something like pike pushups on the stairs to at least keep a semblance of the plane of motion rx'd? I just feel like when doing the latter, I have to scale down so much that it is not enough to work that plane efficiently.

Vincent Stoyas

I was considering scaling the HSPU to negatives. I also thought of swapping the HeSPU and the HSPU. So I would do 5 HeSPU and then 10 negative HSPUs. Would that be appropriate?

Those CWWs are intimidating me right now, haha.

Vincent Stoyas

Completed 2 Rounds

2 Cast Wall Walks

5 HeSPU

2 Cast Wall Walks

5 Negative HSPU 5 Box HSPU

2 Cast Wall Walks

20 Parallel Bar Swings

Finished with 1x10 Wrist Push Ups

2x5 Body levers

1x40 Mason Twist

1x5 start in standing pike and walk hands out. Whatever that's called.

Meant to do 1x10 Wall Bridge Walks, but forgot =/

Started to feel a little in my shoulder, so I cut out the last 2 CWW and only did 10 PB swings.

It was the first time I did PB swings, very fun and challenging. I would advise, as did Tansta, to scale to just the swings. I thought maybe i would do 10 PB dips after the swings, but the swings work those muscles as it is. Push ups won't bring about the same effect.

Felt good today, first time I've done HeSPUs too since I've been injured. Not bad, but not good either, but I'm content. Maybe by the end of the month I'll be hitting the WODs full scale again.

Squatchy

4 rounds

2cww

5 HeSPU (not quite full range)

2cww

10 pike press (toes on floor, shifting most of my weight over my hands)

2cww

15 swinging dips on rings

finish 2x10 wpu

Josh Schmitter
Stubadubb said:
The disclaimer is that there are wiser people around than me...but here's my answer.

I'll check the WOD and choose the variation that I can do in that movement series - i.e. MPPu or MPPr - and by do it, I mean with some control and technique. I can do a jumping MU but it's an ugly thing. Will I do some of them sometimes, yes, because they are kind of fun but I'll always try to build my strength in a smart way (see Coach's over, under and load stuff in BtGB). I know I'll be better off to put my ego aside and then choose the correct exercise.

By the way, putting the ego aside is the biggest challenge I face with the WODs.

So, for me, I wanted to stay in the HS and HeS movements, which is why I choose the exercises I did. As for dips, well, I remembered coach's rule: push ups before dips. I know I can't do even 10 proper dips (staying upright and dropping the shoulders the hands - not dips like you see most guys at the gym do!), nor can I do 20 XR PPP push ups, so I have to ask myself what I can do with good form. It's good old push ups. I'll start with XR as horizontal as I can but I suspect I will end up on the floor (where I will try for more of a planche push up initially).

This is all a work in progress and I learn as I go. That's part of the fun. Remember, you're building the foundation now.

Good form - i.e. control and completing a full range of motion - are more important than numbers (which is why I don't like crossfit. How good is the form when you have to do 100 push ups as fast as possible?)

I hope this helps. If the wiser folks are reading, please share your wisdom.

Mike

I am with ya on the not being able to do 10 dips yet myself. The problem I had was I had trouble doing even 10 floor pushups after all the CWW(even going down to 1 rep of those). So I think I will keep my pike pushups on steps just to stick with plane of motion for the H(e)SPu stuff and sub a pushup variation for any dipping I can't keep reps for in all future WOD's. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for taking the time.

Rian

Coach, yet another question from me.

I had some serious problems to keep the form on the CWW (decided to go down to 1 CWW in my third set). Seems my Deltas are not coditioned enough right now. Would you advice me to train the CWW in a gtg-style (lots of CWW sets throughout the day)?

I dont know if these sets would influence my recovery.

Anyone who can help me here, please feel free to answer. I appreciate any answer ^^

Vincent Stoyas
Rian said:
Coach, yet another question from me.

I had some serious problems to keep the form on the CWW (decided to go down to 1 CWW in my third set). Seems my Deltas are not coditioned enough right now. Would you advice me to train the CWW in a gtg-style (lots of CWW sets throughout the day)?

I dont know if these sets would influence my recovery.

Anyone who can help me here, please feel free to answer. I appreciate any answer ^^

You can, if you want. I think you would get more bang for your buck by using GTG with Handstands though.

Tyler Schmitz

4 rds: 3 min rest bet. rds and 30 sec rest or less bet. exercises

2 cww

5 HeSPU full range

2 cww

10 HeSPU 3/4 range

2 cww

20 swinging dips 3/4 to 1/2 range

10 w push ups

1st and 2nd round wasn't bad but, jeez, last rds were tough!

I suspect resting 30 sec bet each exercise is recommended?...

Ivan Uzarevic1

FSP pre-req (3 rounds)

Shoulder routine

WOD: 4 rounds of

2 CWW

5 Handstand Push Ups with Wall/partials

2 CWW

10 Box Headstand Push ups

2 CWW

20 PB Support swings

Finished with: 2x10 Wrist Push ups

notes: For my 5 Handstand Push ups with Wall, I followed these prescriptions:

Hands shoulder width apart

Fingers spread and index fingers pointed straight forward

Body in hollow body position with the ears glued to the shoulders

Chest face towards the wall and only toes resting against the wall by pointing the toes

Descend by sending shoulders (and head) forward while keeping lower arm vertical

Make sure your head and hands at the bottom of the push up form a triangle shape on the ground

Push back up to handstand while maintaining hollow body position during the entire movement

For my PB Support swings I followed instructions from this clip:

It really did make a huge difference in my swinging skill today!

Coach Sommer
If you are having trouble maintaining good position in CWW, I wouldn't suggest doing more throughout the day.

I would suggest an easier version of the Ag walks.

This is an excellent recommendation.

For my PB Support swings I followed instructions from this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmTDHszp ... re=related

It really did make a huge difference in my swinging skill today!

My preference would have been for a bent arm pressing movement to be placed here. However the PB swings could have been used as a scaling substitution for either the ag walks or CWW.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ivan Uzarevic1
For my PB Support swings I followed instructions from this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmTDHszp ... re=related

It really did make a huge difference in my swinging skill today!

My preference would have been for a bent arm pressing movement to be placed here. However the PB swings could have been used as a scaling substitution for either the ag walks or CWW.

Tnx for the tip coach! Actually, I wasnʹt sure if I made correct substitution for swinging dips so Iʹll definately take your advice on this one! Since Iʹm not able to dip more then few inches during swinging motion, I thought that PB support swing would suite the purpose. But I guess it isnʹt that bad to dip just a little bit untill I improve my strength..never thought though that PB swings could be used as a scaling substitution for either ag walks or CWW..so, another big TNX for this one :D

Josh Schmitter
Coach Sommer said:
If you are having trouble maintaining good position in CWW, I wouldn't suggest doing more throughout the day.

I would suggest an easier version of the Ag walks.

This is an excellent recommendation.

For my PB Support swings I followed instructions from this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmTDHszp ... re=related

It really did make a huge difference in my swinging skill today!

My preference would have been for a bent arm pressing movement to be placed here. However the PB swings could have been used as a scaling substitution for either the ag walks or CWW.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is huge for me. Thanks flow like wine from Gimli's mug.

Josh Schmitter
Bdk1786 said:
That's what we are here for. Never hesitate to ask. Don't cheat yourself on your potential gains!

Non hesitation at work presently :). Now that I am doing Plank walks I am having this dilemma: 1 CWW = how many steps/distance for the plank walk? Once that's worked out I also need to see how many regular CWW to do before switching up, but that isn't a big deal. Also making a little dolly so I can pile stuff on it to raise my feet up making it harder if/when it needs to be.