Closed Kinetic Chain Vs Open Kinetic Chain Question

Started by Joshua Beeston, November 30, 2011 · 9 Replies · 7,517 Views

Joshua Beeston

I understand what the difference between each type of exercise is, but after doing some research on the Internet, could not find much information on the benefits of each type of exercise. From the sounds of it, closed kinetic chain movements are more functional and therefore a lot more productive to what we are trying to do here (movements on rings). So would it be beneficial at all to be doing any open kinetic chain exercises?

Larry Roseman
josh14270 said:
I understand what the difference between each type of exercise is, but after doing some research on the Internet, could not find much information on the benefits of each type of exercise. From the sounds of it, closed kinetic chain movements are more functional and therefore a lot more productive to what we are trying to do here (movements on rings). So would it be beneficial at all to be doing any open kinetic chain exercises?

I was curious about this and found what I'd consider to be an exellent discussion of this topic here.

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/kinetic_chain2.txt

Functional is relative to the sport in question. So for running, the author would suggest that

closed chain exercises are more relavant; but for cycling, open chain are also relavent.

In the first you are moving the body against the immovable object (the ground); in the second the object

(the pedals) are moving away from the body. So your choice of training exercise is influenced by this.

I'd agree ring training is predominantly closed chain. Crosses maybe an exception, perhaps.

If you are doing ring training for rings purposes only then there probably is no reason to do open chain training.

If you are using it as a means to another end, then there may be good reasons to use other exercises,

including open chain exercises. But for ring tricks, there aren't many other exercises that are as good

as the rings themselves.

Joshua Naterman
josh14270 said:
I understand what the difference between each type of exercise is, but after doing some research on the Internet, could not find much information on the benefits of each type of exercise. From the sounds of it, closed kinetic chain movements are more functional and therefore a lot more productive to what we are trying to do here (movements on rings). So would it be beneficial at all to be doing any open kinetic chain exercises?

Yes. Many accessory exercises, such as strengthening the large and small muscles of the shoulders (particularly the rotator cuff muscles but also deltoids and to some extent the traps) can only be done with open chain movements because of the very small load required for proper movement and sometimes simply because of the nature of joint movement itself. There is a place for everything, the trick is creating an intelligent program that isn't wasting time on the wrong exercise for a given performance goal!

Joshua Beeston

Thank you both for those responses!

Slizzardman: That's wonderful to hear actually because I just started a GVT cycle for the cuban press on my way to build up to Ido's recommended half bodyweight and have started to experiment with some band work for the shoulder and scapula and was wondering if I could be doing more efficient CKC exercises.

Mercurium
josh14270 said:

I understand what the difference between each type of exercise is, but after doing some research on the Internet, could not find much information on the benefits of each type of exercise. From the sounds of it, closed kinetic chain movements are more functional and therefore a lot more productive to what we are trying to do here (movements on rings). So would it be beneficial at all to be doing any open kinetic chain exercises?

That's a bit like trying to decide whether or not the snatch or clean & jerk is superior to the other. One is more difficult, but the other can be loaded with higher weights. All exercises are tools to develop proficiency for a certain movement. Do whatever you want/need!

Mercurium

And I think rings training counts as open chain, because the hands are free to move.

Sean Hunter

What's Up, 2011?

vinca_minor

Halcyon days...

Jon Douglas

Man, I've come a long (geographic) way since then.

Mercurium

My bad; forgot to check the date! I'll do my best not to necro-post from now on!