Any GB trainees in Medical School?

Started by Tyler Schmitz, November 26, 2011 · 9 Replies · 2,262 Views

Tyler Schmitz

Hey guys,

I was just accepted into medical school 2 weeks ago for matriculation in the fall of next year. I was just curious to see if any trainees following the daily WODs (like me) are in medical school right now. If so, do you guys train with the same intensity, days, etc. or do you scale it down to have enough energy for studying so much everyday. Please feel free to share. Thanks

Joshua Naterman

Congrats! I'll be on my way in 4 semesters or so. Have to finish prereqs (chemistry track). I sometimes have to change my training to accomodate study but the WOD schedule is pretty easy on my time overall. I haven't followed it in a while, been busy doing rehab stuff.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on med school as you go through!

acegerter

i have a good friend in the VCOM DO program!

congrats!

Quick Start Test Smith

Congrats, Tyler! I've heard it's pretty tough to get into. Very impressive.

Justin Kyle

Not going to medical school but will be, hopefully, heading to physical therapy school next fall. Current students and friends who have gone through or are currently in a program said that they had to do most of their exercise EARLY in the morning since they were in class/lab from around 9am-6pm, then studying afterwards. Not sure about intensity and what not though. I will ask them and get back to you! Congratulations on getting into medical school buddy! That is very exciting.

Justin

Tyler Schmitz

Thanks guys,

Yea, I for sure have had to change the WOD day schedule around to accommodate my undergrad prereqs as well but I mostly seem to get each WOD finished every week. I agree slizzardman. The WODs really don't take a whole lot of time, sometimes being only 25 minutes, which is great if you're on a tight schedule. I've heard that some med students study for 9 hours a day! Acegerter, that's cool about your friend. I'm sure they love it. I absolutely loved VCOM when I interviewed. Ooden, I'm sure PT school is very similar in schedule to med school so I'm sure you'll be facing the same situation soon and good luck. I'll def continue to post my WODs and schedule on here once class begins and let you know the challenges.

acegerter

In undergrad I took a full science course load and had 3-4hrs of NCAA gymnastics practice a day! during the spring semester we were on the road all weekend every weekend. One of my good friends double majored in economics & computer science with a minor in math AND did 3-4 hours of gymnastics per day. Undergrad requires quite a bit of effort to get good grades but as far as I'm concerned, you have no excuse when it comes to finding time to workout.

Med school is a different beast... my friends in schools say 100+pgs of reading and 9+ hrs of studying a day is standard, 18hrs of your day are devoted to classes and studying for the first 2 years. once you hit rotations in years 3-4 things are a bit easier because your not in a classroom all day but its still hectic and time consuming. residency=hell on earth from what my dad has told me but apparently laws have been passed that prevent 100+hour work weeks.

I'll probably apply to DO, PA or PT school in a couple years. i still haven't decided which route id like to take.

anyway, congrats man, keep us posted on where u decide to go and how it is!

Cannon Turner

Hey man, congrats!

I am not in med school...anymore. I finished in 2002 and completed a residency in anesthesiology in 2006. My reason for posting is just to say to keep training. You'll thank yourself if you don't let your health go to hell during school....so many do. (sadly)

The first 2 years are mostly books/labs/studying...I really found that. Good workout helped me focus more when I was studying. When you start hitting the wall in long study sessions, just get up, walk away from the books and get some exercise. Your "yield" from studying will be so much higher when you come back.

In years 3-4: the clinical years, the work hours will be longer, and you'll start taking call (working overnight). In these years don't get too hung up on a "schedule" or a weekly pattern...focus more on the amount of working out/training you complete over the course of the week....I was really ridgid before, and had to learn to go with the flow a bit more. Learn to workout tired, know your body. You will definately be hitting the gym some days no where near 100% fresh. It's ok...just keep at it.

Keep the habit, and then staying with it in residency will be no big deal.

Also...get some stuff to train with at home. Avoiding commute time to a gym is HUGE.

Tyler Schmitz

CannonE,

Thanks a lot. That was exactly what I was looking for. Just hearing that it can be done is encouraging. Many of the points you hit on I already am familiar with right now with my busy schedule. I've had to work out tired and out of schedule many times. Also, I will definitely be doing my exercises at home, as I always have done. Going to the gym has always been very inefficient for me because all I end up doing is talking to everyone and substituting exercises due to a lack of proper equipment anyways. Anyways, an overdue congrats to you finishing. I hope to be there in 8 years. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Nic Branson

Working on my Doctorate in Physical Therapy here, between that and college football season I personally have found training at home has been invaluable. I do a few small sessions a day typically. Good luck!

Been awhile since I posted so everyone please forgive my on and off the forums.