Need to get better workouts

Started by work217, September 13, 2008 · 8 Replies · 3,541 Views

work217

Hey,

I have been trying desprately to get into the best shape so that I can do gymnastics and gain more flexability. I weigh 175 and im 5'11. I can rep all of these weights- bench 195, deadlift 275, legpress 610 and 200 for single legged, dip with a 50lb dumbell x20, bunch of L-sit pullups and knees to elbows, lat pulldown and low-pull 200, and butter fly 75 on each arm. I can do this yet when it comes to alot of basic gymnastics I have a lot trouble. I thought cross training would have prepared me for it and I dont know if I should find something else.

Heres what I know I cant do-

-handstand push up

-tuckpushup mush less even holding a tuck position

-any kind of plank position

-and lastly the splits

So far these are all I could find that I could do at my home. I know theres a lot more but I just havent been told them. If anyone could tell me some start up exercises that would be great.

Blairbob

Try to see if you can figure somewhere to do a body lever and front/back lever work. You'll need some sort of bar to hang from and some sort of base to work the body lever.

Start training the tuck planche either in a frog stand or self spotted ( feet on a block or leaning pushup position variant ).

Umm, you can't even do a plank? Start training a body lever or front/back lever. I wouldn't waste time with planks if you can train those movements. If those are too much, train a plank and do some hollow body drills.

Your strength sounds above average, but you will definitely need to start stretching a lot, especially if you have never stretched much to gain flexibility in the shoulders and splits. If you have been cross training, I am thinking you are ways away from performing a cross with your current numbers.

work217

Ive been in Muay Tai so I havent been able to focus completely. but since i dropped it from being injured Ive been doing heavy heavy lifting to increase my numbers and gain back some strength. Im hoping gymnastics will get my body ready to fight again. Im going to do everything you just said, is there anything else that I can do with dumb bells or a punching bag?

Blairbob

Dumbbells can be used as parallettes. You can also do snatches and cleans, DB swings, and thrusters besides lunges and stuff like rows.

work217

alrigh thanks

jtaporco
Blairbob said:

Umm, you can't even do a plank? Start training a body lever or front/back lever. I wouldn't waste time with planks if you can train those movements. If those are too much, train a plank and do some hollow body drills.

What is a plank?

IvanPS
jtaporco said:
Blairbob said:

Umm, you can't even do a plank? Start training a body lever or front/back lever. I wouldn't waste time with planks if you can train those movements. If those are too much, train a plank and do some hollow body drills.

What is a plank?

Plank_small.jpg

jtaporco

nice, thanks ivanps!!

work217

hahahaha oh thats what you meant by plank. I can do those planks for 2 min at a time. i meant planch where your feet and body are off the ground. but ide thought i check back in. Ive been workin hard and I can do 3 sets of 4 hndstnd pushups against a wall and i can now dip 65+lbs freeweight. is this good cause ive been workin everyday at it?