Volume

Started by kippy42, September 12, 2008 · 7 Replies · 6,041 Views

kippy42

Hi,

New member first post. I've worked out with weights/machines for over 30 years and while looking for a decent dip bar, I stumbled onto the idea of ring training.

I used to overtrain for years until I learned that sometime less=more when it comes to weightlifting. I train no more than 2 times per week.

My question is in regard to volume of training in weightlifting versus ring/bodyweight training. After browsing over many posts on this forum, it seems many people train at least 3-5 days a week. I personally would consider this overtraining if weighttraining this much. But that is just me and my specific genetic makeup. In a nutshell, what specifically about ring/bodyweight type training allows one to train more often while avoiding overtraining. Assuming this is the case.

chauinc

I not to sure on how it works but i work out 4 times a week for my 2nd and 4th days i do front lever work, back lever work, pull ups, dips and also planche work. I found that during the workout I still can reach my sets and reps for everything while still being challenged. All of the movements work the arms but they also work different areas and some work the back and hip flexor. Also i get minimal to no soreness the next day. I think the key is to stretch and not to overload the sets and reps.

ps: drinking and posting is bad

Gregor

Volume, planing, muscle groups,....

thekyloe

Well, volume is different for gymnastic training when compared to weight training. Training with weights often has goals like reaching absolute muscular failure, which is bad in terms of gymnastics--you need to be able to perform, often, all the time, etc.

Gymnastics is also more about skill training than developing pure overall strength, as well. Like, you wouldn't try to learn juggling by juggling for hours and hours until you couldn't stand it anymore, once a week. Rather, you'd probably be better off practicing a little every day, which is kind of the approach gymnasts have to take.

So, with the switch from going to absolute failure to stopping shy of failure, you save yourself energy and time spent recovering, allowing for more frequent training.

Nick

It is an interesting question that I don't know the definite answer to. However, one cannot argue with the results. The greater stimulus provided by more frequent training is necessary with Gymnastic Strength Training™. If I had to make a guess, it would be that the weights place an unusually large stress on the muscles and that working bodyweight exercises does not place that same type of stress.

braindx

Perhaps the other strongest athletes on the planet (besides powerlifters and gymnasts) are the olympic weightlifters... who train 6 days a week multiple times a day.

The key is managing volume and intensity correctly. If you're working out intensely, volume tends to have to be lower. If the intensity is lacking, volume can be higher. All depends what you're trying to do at any given time. And also, work capacity can be increased to a certain point which allows for more frequency training.

The tendency especially in high skill sports like gymnastics, oly, etc. is that training MUST be frequent to gain the skills necessary to perform well. Thus, training is often far from failure for the skill training portions and integrated is S&C to the extent that you're building up your strength (and mass if you need it) as well as conditioning. A lot of the time it's high intensity work BUT not to failure which helps avoid burnout.

Shani

Personally speaking, I only train gymnastic strength about twice a week, although I train gymnastic skills or stretch for gymnastics, several times a week.

Although gymnasts may train several times a week, I suspect most of them only push their strength training around two or so times a week.

In gymnastics you are training 'chains' of muscles rather than the isolation mentality found in the gym - so fatigue is braodly spread, rather than the debilitating fatiigue of spending a whole session working your biceps like an iron-rat.

Ultimately, listen to your body!

braindx
Shani said:
Personally speaking, I only train gymnastic strength about twice a week, although I train gymnastic skills or stretch for gymnastics, several times a week.

Although gymnasts may train several times a week, I suspect most of them only push their strength training around two or so times a week.

In gymnastics you are training 'chains' of muscles rather than the isolation mentality found in the gym - so fatigue is braodly spread, rather than the debilitating fatiigue of spending a whole session working your biceps like an iron-rat.

Ultimately, listen to your body!

I train strength 4-5x a week + conditioning if i want (not competing now so I don't worry about conditioning as much).

As long as you keep the volume low enough like I said before you can train strength very often. Coach Sommer's prescription for planche and front lever isometrics are 4x a week... more frequency = faster adaptations.