new member - please comment on training plan.

Started by Martyn Grant, November 3, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,526 Views

Martyn Grant

First of i would like to introduce myself - my names Martyn from Scotland.

I have been training consistantly for around 12 years - been chasing strength. I have tried many different types of training in that time and i find Gymnastic training the most rewarding and great for long term goals.

I have been training serious for 8 weeks now.

This is where my progress is just now.

Mon - Front lever work / hand stand

Hollow back training on floor - holds for 60s.

Body levers - 5 sets of 3 -5

Flat tuck hold 2 x 30s ( think i am ready to move onto Straddle )

1/2 cranks ( knees up ) 3 x 3

Pullups on rings - False grip - 5 x 3 ( could do much more than 3 but focusing on slow controlled pulllups )

Ring rows - 5 x 3

Ice cream Makers - 3 x 3

Hand stands next to wall on bars - timed - trying to work up to 60s.

I also do a couple other exercises to strenghen core and back that i made up myself to simulate front lever.

Wed - Back lever work / legs / core

Reverse Hyperextensions - 3 sets

Reverse Hyperextensions isometrics with partner - 3 sets

German Hang pulls to inverted - 5 sets of 5

Flat tucked hold - 2 x 30s

pistols - 5 x 5 - 10 Bodyweight.

Calf raises on one leg - 3 sets

Calf raise holds - 3 sets

Body levers using with kettlebells - 3 x 3

Hollow back training on floor - 60s.

Fri - Muscle up training / Dips and pulls.

L sit pullups on rings - 3 x 3 slow

L sit holds - 2 x 30s

Bar overgrip pullups - 3 x 5 slow.

Bulgarian dips rings - 5 x 3

Bulgarian dip holds - 3 x 15 sec.

Basic dips of bars - 3 x 5

slow muscle up - 3 x 1

L sit slow muscle up - 3 x 1

I am wanting to get 360% strength on rings e.g crank to front lever to back lever to german hang and back around before i move onto anything else. I also want to get strong pullups and dips of rings before i start training hard at other skills.

Any suggestions regarding my training plan.?

Cheers

Blairbob

How's it working out for you? Is it progressing? Those are the real questions to ask yourself.

Training seems light as you are working on skills only once a week. Do you feel progress in this or do you think it's flatlined?

Martyn Grant

Thanks for reply.

I am working my core hard several times a week which def passes over into a lot of skills.

I find it is working ok. I could not do a muscle up about 4 weeks ago and now i can do strict L sit.

I also managed my first back lever couple days ago and getting close to front lever.

Should i train the skills more often ? I don't like over taxing my CNS.

Thanks

viewty

It's by no means the "right" way of programming, every one has their own preferences / limitations / goals, but typically a 4 day program yields "better" (read: quicker) results.

A common routine seen here and other places is to train mon+tues, thurs+fri, where Monday and Thursday are the same, Tuesday and Friday are the same.

Twice a week per exercise focus allows enough time for recovery while avoiding over training (obviously depends on the individual).

Again, not saying what you're doing is wrong, and not saying this is better, but you might find it yields faster results - just an idea to consider;

Monday/Thursday: Vertical work. Typically dip and handstand orientated work, and the many variations there of.

Tuesday/Friday; Horizontal work. Levers, Rows, Planche progressions etc

After a month or two of training, or from the start if coming from active background, most are comfortable doing FSPs daily, with an intense flexibility routine bi-weekly.

I found after about 2 months of working 4 day I benefited a fair bit from daily FSB + WOD + Joint work. When I started I went all in but started getting wrist aches and ended being out of training for nearly 2 weks from overtaxing shoulders (old dislocation injury, I should have known better...)

Martyn Grant

Is is possible and ok to do static holds daily with out over training?

E.g if i done Tucked lever holds daily and tried to slowly increase to flat lever then straddle? working on 60 s holds daily and doing repetition work - rows with rings , pullups, and all related front lever strength work twice a week??

I

Blairbob

All depends on the volume and intensity.