Advice for next cycle/WOD's

Started by Josh Schmitter, November 1, 2011 · 9 Replies · 3,568 Views

Josh Schmitter

Tested FSP Pre-reqs yesterday and today. Here are the results:

Plank(feet elevated) - 105s

Arch hold - 43s

PB Support - 80s

Hollow Hold(arms at about 120 degrees) - 45s

Reverse Plank - 45s

Chin up Dead Hang - 80s

This is also the new order I will be supersetting them ala Slizzardman. Since my last SSC of about 3 months seemed very rough, and never really got to a deload phase, I will be halving all of these times and going on a new cycle for FSP pre-reqs. I also believe I pushed too hard in the WOD's, and had some sleep issues on top of/possibly as a result of that. I am also curious about the WOD's and deloading. I'm not sure if I should:

1)go SSC with them, keeping them on the easier side for a cycle

2)Every 3rd-4th week half volume and/or intensity(I know Coach has said he does volume)

3)Ido's 40-60% cut every 2-5 WO's

Any input much appreciated.

Video Here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5507&p=66837#p66837

Blairbob

For a SSC, there should be no need for backoff weeks. Nor is one needed for the 1 month GB WOD cycle (perhaps take a backoff week between finishing each cycle?)

Train the preFSPs with a SSC but leaning towards more volume than just 60s. 2-3 minutes is what I would shoot for.

Josh Schmitter
Blairbob said:
For a SSC, there should be no need for backoff weeks. Nor is one needed for the 1 month GB WOD cycle (perhaps take a backoff week between finishing each cycle?)

Train the preFSPs with a SSC but leaning towards more volume than just 60s. 2-3 minutes is what I would shoot for.

I had long ago thrown in the towel for this post. Thanks for sending it back laundered and fresh w/ informative scents. So while I have you, if you are indeed still around these slightly shady, less than reputable posts :), I have a few issues. I understand there should be no deloading on the SSC, and was fairly sure about the WOD cycle. The problem is I don't believe my scaling ability is proficient enough to complete the WOD cycle without deloading at some point. I know this will be addressed in the seminar that I will hopefully be getting to next time around.

As for the Pre-reqs, I already feel like they are fairly tough and they have yet to get much easier. I don't think I could do more sets w/out compromising my WOD performance. I have been debating either doing more volume at other times of the day, or even going back in scaling(i.e. hollow hold with hands at hips, arch hold with arms to side or back at hips) and working to 3x60 with those first. Thanks again.

Blairbob

If you need a light week after 1 month, go for it.

Learning how to scale takes awhile.

Perhaps a focus on building that basic strength is in order. Something along the lines of a Killroy like program but being SSC and not linear including the preFSPs

Josh Schmitter

I have definitely been toying around with rocking the Killroy template for a while as I believe my low scaling abilities are definitely compromising my gains from the WOD's. I will probably keep on the WOD's for one more Pre-req SSC cycle, then perhaps switch over. I feel that change will be good, and at the same time will miss posting in the WOD sub-forum. Thanks again for the input.

Josh Schmitter

Finished up another SSC w/ the pre-reqs...actually around 3.5 months. The problem is there was little to no progress made. My times went down or stayed pretty constant excluding Hollow and Reverse Plank. Some of this, I believe, has to do making them slightly harder after testing(i.e. going to tops of feet for Plank), making sure shoulders back and down for support. But I even moved my arms straight up for hollow(was doing about 120 degrees to floor) and to the sides for arch about a month ago and even testing in those positions there was still not much/if any improvement.

I'm thinking of taking blairbobs advice and trying to chalk up 2-3 min. Probably doing a regular WU, then doing them again later in the day to make up the difference. I'm also at odds whether to keep doing them in a superset fashion(ala slizz) or 3 in a row(ala coach). With the latter I'm not sure how I would need to adjust times. Anyways, sorry for the ramble, I'm off to read all the pre-req threads again before starting something up this upcoming week.

Plank(feet elevated, tops of feet) - 90s

Arch hold(arms side)- 42s

Arch Hold(arms back)-50s

PB Support - 80s

Hollow Hold(arms 90 degrees) - 51s

Reverse Plank - 62s

Chin up Dead Hang - 80s

Blairbob

OK, I took the time to read some of your log at the beginning and end. In 9 months it seems like you're still only doing some of the same progressions. Pre fsps seem to have doubled.

What are you current strength levels? I saw 4 pullups and dips but didn't see a start point.

Ht, wght, bodyfat% at beginning and end?

Lower body strength seems better than upper body. Just a guess as I saw you can do sls.

I did watch ur old Nov vids on pre fsps. Age 35-45. Bf level 15% give or take 5% and needing more muscle.

Josh Schmitter

Thanks much.

I'm at 5x4 of pulls/dips with a 212 tempo. As far as how many total in a row, I would say 8 max, but not completely sure. I was more interested on the Pre-Fsps and not focusing too much on the FBE's/testing...i.e. just following the WOD's scaling as best I could.

I'm about 6ft, hovering around 160-165lbs, and have definitely lost bodyfat over the course of this time. I have had major dietary changes as well over the past 6months(i.e. almost all whole foods). As far as age I'm 30...but the beard adds a good 5-10 years :). It's coming off soon, so a new video will be in order.

I can do 5 sls on each leg alternating, but not much more than that without a break. Upper body has made lots of improvements though, as with the dips and pulls, I wasn't able to do Full ROM dips 6 months ago...not even one. Pulls have been stalling lately, but still stronger. My first post of my log has all my dates and most of the stuff added for pre-fsps. I also do rows in my WU, and going to add HeS RLL.

As far as fsps, do you advocate doing more sets later in the day to reach 2-3 min?

Thanks more.

Cole Dano

Tans are you going to the seminar in May?

Josh Schmitter
Cole Dano said:
Tans are you going to the seminar in May?

With words tucked in by darkness, no. I will be at the September one barring catastrophe.

Also, if you are indeed attending in may, see if you can strap a camera to your upper thigh, under shorts(preferably pointed down) so maybe I can get some early help :).