This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SuperMario Galaxy (calisthenics training)

Started by SuperMario, October 30, 2011 · 26 Replies · 1,992 Views

SuperMario

Wath's up guys, hi everyone!!!

I introduce myself...

My name is Mario, I come from Italy...sorry for my atrocious english ;)

I'm 24 years old. I come from 5 years of weights, but without much enthusiasm and with poor results. My eyes light up at every Olympics, but for logistical reasons (lack of gyms in my area) and now the time (I'm too old), I have never competed in anything like this until now. But now thanks to the web and some books have won the initial impasse, and I threw myself head first on this type of gymnastic training ...

I dedicate it from about 5 months. Equipment: for the moment simply my body, bar and rings.

My current routine consists of a 6 x week workout

WO A:

Statics:

L-sit 10 series x 6"

Tuck back lever 6 x 10"

Dinamics:

Handstand push-ups 5 series x 3 reps

Pull-ups 5 x 3

Pistol squats 5 x 3

Hanging leg raises 5 x 3

WO B:

Statics:

Tuck Planche 10 serie x 6"

Tuck Front Lever 6 x 10"

Dinamics:

Ring dips 5 series x 3 reps

Pull-ups 5 x 3

Glute ham raise 5 x 3

Hanging leg raises 5 x 3

That's all folks...If you have any advice I will be here! TANX a lot :lol:

MH87

Go mario!

Brutus
SuperMario said:
Here is the videos of my training...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyPAqqsA ... ideo_title

I think that´s almost a flat tuck back lever

I also think that you should place your hands closer to the wall in the HSPUs. (this will help you to keep less arch on your back)

Love the music (MGMT yeah? :mrgreen: )

SuperMario

Exact, I'm trying to switch to flat. But for a 100% correct position I still have some work to do! ;)

Also the "banana" position in HSPU is a my mistake, but from tomorrow I will execute with the hands closer to the wall!

Tanx for the advice :D I am always ready to learn from more experienced...

Brutus
SuperMario said:
Tanx for the advice :D I am always ready to learn from more experienced...

I´m not currentlyy what you would call experienced... :roll:

I started a year ago having ever bodyweightrained. I have done things awfully bad until this moment (started to practise flat tuck back lever or planche attempts (flat tuck) without having reached the prerequisites but I realised it´s better to take a step back and do things properly.

I am managing to find the correct way to make up a "realistic" routine now that would give me the chance to improve

SuperMario

Alright ... I started five months, so even your minimal experience can help me.

In fact I find very interesting your comment! About this...which prerequisites you want to develop before moving on to the next step of training???

I did not really understand this part of the prerequisites (is a part of the book that I probably escaped, probably because my English is not great)!

From what I understand, I have to concentrate on the L-sit, wall HS, FL and german hang for the static positions. Instead for the dinamics position must focus attention on the dip, pull-ups, HSPU, squats, core exercises.

If you can you tell me more about these prerequisites would really help me!

Brutus
SuperMario said:
Alright ... I started five months, so even your minimal experience can help me.

In fact I find very interesting your comment! About this...which prerequisites you want to develop before moving on to the next step of training???

I did not really understand this part of the prerequisites (is a part of the book that I probably escaped, probably because my English is not great)!

From what I understand, I have to concentrate on the L-sit, wall HS, FL and german hang for the static positions. Instead for the dinamics position must focus attention on the dip, pull-ups, HSPU, squats, core exercises.

If you can you tell me more about these prerequisites would really help me!

From what I have read I think it´s important before starting BL progressions (tuck --> flat tuck --> straddle -->etc) to have a solid German Hang 3 x 30 seconds. I have´n done it and perhaps that´s why my shoulders hurt (haven´t enouh time to develop joint strength)

I have also tried to do planche (tuck) on floor before having achieved a 3 x 60 solid L-sit. Haven´t done also planche lean exercise or wrist-push ups.

Blairbob

The prerequisite drills are not in the book. They are from the seminar.

SuperMario

Damn >.<

I want to be in the U.S.

Blairbob sorry, but it is possible for users unable to follow the semonar have this information?

SuperMario

Thank you so much man! :D

Meanwhile I send you more videos. I'm slowly trying to improve the technique in these exercises,

always looking for the correct execution of skills. I hope to improve with time :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzpBNc5l ... re=feedlik

I now also introduce the prerequisites in training. With many of them I'm already advanced, however I will try to keep in all of the prerequisites at least 60' of static position!

Brutus
SuperMario said:
. I hope to improve with time :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzpBNc5l ... re=feedlik

L-sit: I think you should go a step back (i´m not an expert) in this skill. your L-sit seems a litlle weak. perhaps try to work longer times (12-15 sec) on low L-sit

HS: awesome!! No moves and solid for 60"

HSPU: much better than the last time

HLL: difficult to jugde because in the bar it´s easier than in stall bars, although you seem to have a powerful grip and endurance

SuperMario

You are absolutely right, my L-sit is incorrect. Now I proceed to the tuck version, trying to keep my chest out, arms stretched and scapula depressed! For HLL I noticed that I have low mobility in the hips. For this reason I will go to version hanging knee lift, trying not to get up with my back, but with legs!

Meanwhile, I will send the video with the first part of prerequisites. I hope to be in the right direction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tDg8iZG ... ture=feedu

Brutus
SuperMario said:

Plank: much solid than mine (I have to make a video at least to compare). To make it harder push ahead on your toes so the bodyweight moves some inches ahead.

Poweful arch hold. I can´t stand so long. 20-25 seconds may be my best.

In the hollow hold I think you should low your arms a litlle bit and also try to bring them closer one to ecah other

SuperMario

Yes, I think like you for the hollow. These were my first attempts, now I will try to improve them :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iog0Q1S_ ... ture=feedu

This is the second part of the prerequisites. I put the plank again because I'm looking for the correct execution with the abs fully contract and the spine in kyphosis!

SuperMario

Here I am with a new video... I have included exercises in which I am trying to make technical improvements.

However, the workout routine is the same posted in the past videos, only additions are the prerequisites of GB. I split the prerequisites and I put these at the end of the workout, because otherwise they were too tiring to do the most of the workout!

I also placed at the beginning of each session HS work to improve skills in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jXrEie_ ... ideo_title

SuperMario

Even a video of exercises where I'm technically weak and poor.

I started free HS work, and the real problem is the l-sit in the correct form (back straight, arms straight, chest out, and scapula depressed).

Oh well, however there are always slow and small steps forward ... let's keep it! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQIXlu0Y ... ideo_title

jl5555

Mario, keep it going. I would suggest:

Do some bridges where your feet are raised on a box prior to your handstand practice. Work this to open your shoulders and warm them up. You need a bit more open there to stack those shoulders for a better line.

If you are going to do back-to-wall HS put your hands a bit closer to the wall. You probably have your hands set at that distance because you have found that if you put them any closer you fall out. Well, that is the issue. You are a bit over arched because you aren't pushing enough from your palms through your hands, shoulders and upper back. Getting closer to the wall and not falling out will help you learn to push a bit more to hold the HS. If you absolutely cannot get any closer to the wall yet it could indicate poor wrist flexibility/strength.

On your L sit to me you look way too tense in your upper torso. Try not to be so static. Don't just set a certain position and then fall into the rest. Try to grow into the position. The L sit requires an active push down through the shoulders and then also pushing the hips forward while maintaining the L sit.

SuperMario

Wow...you can suggest when you want :D

I found your advice very accurate. I think that you tried on your body I will try to follow its!

I understood the speech on the L-Sit and I'll try to stay under the contract and to be more open with my back pushing hips forward!

For the free HS in your opinion how should I set the work? From what I understand, I do some work face against the wall, as close as possible to the wall. And some bridges for the mobility. However I believe that the low mobility in the shoulders and scapula is the main weakness...that's where I have to work!!!

Brutus
jl5555 said:
The L sit requires an active push down through the shoulders and then also pushing the hips forward while maintaining the L sit.

That´s the point. I thought the same when i first saw it. Great block on both arms, but failing to push the hips forward. Try to think you wanna push your hips up to the chest

SuperMario

Yeah, I agree!

My difficulty is just pushing my shoulder down and raise the chest. It is as if I could hold this position, and I can't bring hips forward! I do not know...maybe it's a problem of mobility and not of strength.

Brutus
SuperMario said:
Yeah, I agree!

My difficulty is just pushing my shoulder down and raise the chest. It is as if I could hold this position, and I can't bring hips forward! I do not know...maybe it's a problem of mobility and not of strength.

Then maybe think on work on your low L-sit.

I was also limitated by my poor flexibility of the psoas muscle and the hips when doing L-sit. Working on tuck position or low L-sit until you achieve more flexibility could be the answer

SuperMario

Definitely!

Now I'm just working on a tuck l-sit and a low l-sit. Meanwhile, I'm also working on the mobility and flexibility!

I hope to improve soon and progress in the right direction, open my log on the forum has helped me just to have a discussion and be able to plan the best possible training :wink: