First timer, desperately need help with a training splig

Started by gypsyking, October 23, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,358 Views

gypsyking

So I am a professional wrestler/ex powerlifter, I am coming back from some neck and back injuries and have seen the light in the way of bodyweight excercises, I still want to lift but absoultely want to do gymnastics training work seeing how beneficial it is...can anyone help with a training split? Been toying with 5/3/1 quite a bit and I think it would be perfect for my weight training days, if anyone could let me know if there are any coaches in this area that may have some expertise I could hire or get advice from? I hope to hear back from you guys soon...thank you

Richard Saady

Blairbob

I like doing a 531 split with BW exercises as assistance exercises.

I went over it briefly in this thread:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7364#p66001

For the most part I used a 2 day split of BS/OHP and BP/DL. For a cycle or two, I also added FS to the BP/DL day and GoodMornings to the BS/OHP.

Ideally it went like this:

MTh Gymnastics Warmup, Stretch&Mobility, shoulder and wrist mobility, preFSP stuff, RingPressHS/BodyLever/Block Maltese workout of 5 rounds. FBE.

Tu/F Same as above, but instead of RingPressHS/BodyLever/Block Maltese work I would do a SSC of FSPs and some dynamic work of exercises that are generally done in the DynamicWODS except that I would hit Upper Body Push/Pull, LowerBody, and Ab type movements at a leisurely pace. 3 or 5 rounds of 5-10 reps per exercise. It was not as intense as the GB WODs and was designed to just do something.

W I just bounced on trampoline and worked on Press HS and HS work and more stretching. I did a bit of this on other days but W was designed as a light day compared to MTuThF. I generally ended up doing more tumbling and event work on this day because of time and the sheer fact that quite often on MTuThF I neither had the time or energy to hit event work.

Tu/F were generally the 531 days either early in the afternoon or at night after gym practice. There was a short break between gym and lifting as it took about 30m to walk there so I had a little downtime besides downing some whey and BCAA's and maybe some carbs.

Bare in mind, that I worked at a gymnastics gym so it was easy enough to do this after coaching besides the fact that I'm single and thus don't have to worry about kids or significant others. So a lot of time on my hands.

You could set up a 531 split of 4d/week with one major lift per day and BW exercises as assistance work. Do pull work on your pressing days. You can go with working the same plane or a different plane such as OHP and horizontal pulling work or Bench Press and pullup work. Inverted pullup work (body curls) and dips and hespu were used as assistance exercises. So I would would do dips on OHP day and HeSPU on bench days.

Joshua Naterman

I agree, and for you I would focus on OAC progression, multiplane pulls such as yewkis, and straight arm strength progressions. I would also do hollow holds and mobility work in warm up.

SamSpaiser
I would also do hollow holds and mobility work in warm up.

This is not the first time I've seen it mentioned for mobility work to go in the warm up. However, in the WODs, Coach always puts mobility at the end. Are you referring to exercises other than dynamic flexibility such as bridge wall walks, shoulder dislocates, wall slides, etc.? If so, what general mobility work might be beneficial to include in a warm up before hitting pre-FSPs?

Joshua Naterman

He puts one single important thing at the end, but you are supposed to be doing all the mobility work every training day.