This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 111014

Started by Coach Sommer, October 14, 2011 · 24 Replies · 3,677 Views

Coach Sommer

YS8ol0rx1m8

Complete four rounds:

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

7 PB HSPU

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

5 Swinging Dips

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

3 PB Upperarm Pushups

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Note that for today’s GB WOD, you will be performing 2 L-sit press to Tuck PL on parallets in between each of the assigned FBEs. If you do not have parallets, possible substitutions include kettlebells, dumbbells or pushup bars.

2) To perform the L-sit press to Tuck PL begin with a 3 sec L-sit and then with straight arms press up into a 3 sec Tuck PL, lower down back to the L-sit position to complete the repetition.

3) If PB HSPU are too demanding, scale them with an appropriate HSPU

4) PB Upper-arm Pushups are performed by assuming an extended front support position on top of the parallel bars; the difference these position and a regular front support position is that the hands will be substantially in front of the shoulders. From this position, bend the arms and lower the body until the upper arms are supporting the body on the bars. From this upper-arm supported position press back up to the extended front support position. This constitutes one repetition.

5) Rest 30 seconds between exercises and 2-3 minutes between rounds

6) Scale these movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement

Kenneth Manning

I'm having a hard time visualizing the upper arm pb pushups. Anyone have a video or further details?

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

It sounds like a russian dip done on one bar to me?

John Sapinoso

I'm on it, rendering a vid as I type this. I believe it's a russian dip with the feet supported. I found it much harder than a russian dip, though. Also my bars kept moving and I don't think my shoulder extension was great enough.

John Sapinoso

here it is: (says still processing but it should be up in a bit)

AYj0Nw6aU0A

Anyways, XRDSwHS was a bit overscaled, should have done chest roll to HS or hopping HeSPU with a kip. Second round fell a bit awkwardly into one arm on top one arm on bottom RTO dip (pseudo maltese style) type position, didn't injure anything....but it was on par with a very very rough massage, given by a UFC fighter.

Completed 2 rounds (filmed only the first) then stopped for some extra prehab.

Nic Scheelings

Nice work Tsoonami, don't think the upper arm pushups are correct tho as your in a back support and it says to be in a front support. At least that's how i did them anyway.

Gohan

I think the PB Upperarm Pushups look like this but on a parallel bars:

And you go down like in the russian dip but with feet supported behind you to be in pushup position.This is what i understood :D

Coach Sommer

tsOOnami,

Great variation, but not what I had tried to describe. The feet should be behind the body with the stomach pointing down to the ground. Note also that at the bottom of the movement neither the elbows nor the forearms should be on the bar, rather the torso should be supported soley by the upper arms lying directly on the bars.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Falcon

Four rounds:

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

7 Lower to HeS, Wall press to HS (switched to 10 negatives after the first round)

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

7 Chest Roll negative

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

5 Assisted Russian Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Contrast showers

Got my *** kicked totally. Ego -70%.

The video explains everything, I've lost most of my strenght in PL, and the injury still persists. It just didn't hurt that much today. And russian dips... no way.

Everybody LOL @ pulling dominant Falcon.

pwmS_-BDMkI

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I think I did it wrong as well :(

My video is here (Probably still uploading): http://vimeo.com/30571958

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Falcon stop until injury heals no point in doing it and injuring yourself to the point of you cannot do anything anymore.

Erich Lin

sounds like the analog of a russian dip but instead in pushup pushup landing on the upper arms. like the middle of a pelican with only upper arms touching right?

so Dip-> pull-up and this is pushup-> back lever , when done on p - bars, both will rest on upper arms. so this builds that transition of the pelican i think...

John Sapinoso
Coach Sommer said:
tsOOnami,

Great variation, but not what I had tried to describe. The feet should be behind the body with the stomach pointing down to the ground. Note also that at the bottom of the movement neither the elbows nor the forearms should be on the bar, rather the torso should be supported soley by the upper arms lying directly on the bars.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the clarification Coach. Although, I do like the accidental variation, felt much harder than a russian dip. :D

Mark Wyly

Thnx coach!!!

This is sort of my year anniversary of starting wod with BTGB:) i have definitely found improvements and plan to keep going strong :)

Great wod! Should b back to posting vids next week.

Falcon
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
Falcon stop until injury heals no point in doing it and injuring yourself to the point of you cannot do anything anymore.

I've already stopped, my right forearm is healed, my left is still in pain, I did just first two sets with the tuck planche, I won't go through pain ever again. Lesson learned :)

Micah Ellinger

Is it possible to get a video of PB Upperarm pushups?

Josh Schmitter

Wrist Routine

Ido Scap/Shoulder Routine

FSP Pre-req Warmup

WOD: 4rounds/rests as rx'd

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

7 Pike pushups(2nd stair)

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

20s Just swinging

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

3 Full Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Notes:

-Lower leg prehab A/B between rounds

-Everything felt really good today. Scaled just right it seems.

polmod
ts00nami said:
here it is: (says still processing but it should be up in a bit)

AYj0Nw6aU0A

hi ts00nami,

i saw that you eat 100g of raw tenderloin 30min pre. that's meat right? doesn't that contain bacteria and stuff like that?

Paolo

polmod
Bdk1786 said:
Nothing wrong with eating raw beef. Pork and chicken are the no-no's.

ok then.. now i just have to convince my mother! :) jaja

John Sapinoso

Guys,

This is just a personal experiment for me and I suggest doing some reading on your own before decide to try it too. Maybe we should start a new thread as well. In any case, the beef I eat is organic 100% grass fed no hormones no antibiotics and I would be wary of doing raw with meat that's not like this aka 99% of what is sold. Just my.02

-J

Erich Lin
Nothing wrong with eating raw beef.

not that i disagree, but that is a blanket statement. Blanket statements are strong statements. I would do some research before following blanket statements. and when you do your research, research BOTH sides and then decide which side you agree on. If you only google "raw meat safe" , then you might only get results based on articles saying that it is safe. Read both sides, then decide. Be open minded :) again, i'm not saying i disagree, but .... my .02

Erich Lin

yea i figured that was the case. no worries :) but also saying

raw beef isn't a death sentence

is also a blanket statement :) Cause it just may be.

Daniel Burnham

This is my interpretation of the PB upper arm pushup. Not sure it it's correct. Any thoughts?

I77yCtu17dI

Mark Plas

Hi burnhamd,

Thanks for the movie.

I think that is the way to do it, but from the description of Coach Sommer, your hands should be some distance in front of your shoulders. I think the way you are doing it has the hands directly below the shoulders.

Mark Plas

My WOD:

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

7 Military presses with 30kg total

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

5 Swinging Dips

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

3 PB Upperarm knee supported pushups

I replaced HSPU with military presses.

I really liked the PB upperarm pushups! I did them on parallettes with my knees supported on an elevated surface the same height as the parallettes and with my hands about 40cm in front of my shoulders. I think this exercise is a good progression for building up Russian Dips and for building up the MU transition. I can't do Russian dips at all and am working on the MU transition, so this exercise comes at exactly the right time!